28. Wherever You Will Go

-REY-

I'm just about to climb in the Resistance transport pod when I hear Poe's voice from across the hangar.

"Can we not do this right now?" I plead, watching him warily as he approaches me.

"I'm not trying to stop you," he says, brows furrowing. "Although, as acting General, I would have liked a briefing on this mission before the actual mission." His smile doesn't reach his eyes.

"Sorry, I figured Leia would tell you," I mutter. "What do you want, then?" My hands clench into fists at my side. Fear of confrontation has me itching to flee, but my feet stay planted.

"I wanted to say I'm sorry." He takes a deep breath and runs a hand through his disheveled curls. "You aren't some object or property I can claim. I have no control over the decisions you make, and I can't hold them against you. Of course I wish you'd picked me, but you didn't, and I have to accept that and move on."

The tension in my shoulders releases and I let out a breath I hadn't realized I was holding. "Thank you, Poe. But I still want to apologize for leading you on. It was not intentional, but I still hurt you, and for that I'm truly sorry."

Poe finally cracks a smile. "Apology accepted."

"No hard feelings, then?"

His face is serious again, and he looks at me in a way that strips my soul bare. "I love you, Rey," he whispers, "and it's because I love you that I can't be selfish with you."

"Poe, I..."

"You don't have to say anything. I just want you to know I'd rather have you in my life as a good friend than not at all. So, no. No hard feelings." He stuffs his hands awkwardly in the pockets of his flight suit and rocks back on his heels.

I step forward and quickly press a kiss to his cheek. His face flushes bright pink and I smile. "I love you, too," I tell him.

"Now get going, and be safe," Poe commands, still smiling. "May the Force be with you."

I laugh and salute him. "And with you, General Dameron."

I watch him disappear from the hangar, still smiling over the fact that everything finally feels right. For once the weight hanging on me has lifted, and the dream of peace in the galaxy doesn't seem so unattainable.

"Are you coming?" Ben asks, coming up behind me. I jump at his voice, not realizing he'd reached the ship already.

"Yes! Yes, of course."

A while later my mind wanders as Ben pilots the small craft into the stars. "I wasn't expecting that from him," he finally says.

"You heard?" I ask, somewhat anxious now.

Ben flips a switch and pulls the large lever at the center of the console. The stars blur into white streaks against the darkness, the force of the jump to hyperspace pushing my body back against the co-pilot seat. "I did," he states simply.

When he doesn't say more, fear creeps in. "Look, Ben, I hope you know I didn't mean I love him, you know, romantically. I meant as a friend."

"I knew what you meant," he replies, voice calm. "I only brought it up because I was impressed. After he threatened me this morning-"

"He threatened you?" I demand, cutting him off. "If I'd known, I wouldn't have apologized to the bastard."

Ben chuckles. "I'm not upset. I was irritated at first, but I realized I would've done the same if I were in his position."