Chapter 5 - Voice of unreason

Start from the beginning

"Of course mom." Fleur snuggled a little more into the blanket, "Does the girl from Germany have a name?"

"Sure she does. Her name is Lani."

"Lani?" she asked, then started grinning all over her face, "That sounds like a princess! No, an elf, or a fairy, or both! Is she both?"

"Both?" I laughed heartily, "Well, I don't think Lani is a princess or an elfin fairy," I said with a grin, "but her name certainly sounds magical."

"Yes it does and what else can you tell me about her?"

"Hmh, actually just that she's twenty-one and has submitted an exceedingly qualified application to be a nanny. She will take good care of you. I'm quite sure of that."

"That's nice." Yawning, Fleur closed her eyes and I was about to slip out of the room when all at once she startled and looked anxiously at me, "Mom?"

"Yes, Fleur?"

"If we're talking like this, I just remembered there's something I wanted to tell you."

"Oh yeah, what?"

"Well," Fleur, becoming unsure, played around with the tail of her unicorn, "sometimes things are a little weird, you know? I don't feel great sometimes, and I don't know-"

""Beeeeep," all at once a loud hooting interrupted her, and I cringed in distress as immediately the vibration of my cell phone followed up.

Ugh, of all times.

"Just a minute, honey." Sighing, I checked the screen and pushed the caller away. "It can wait. You were going to say?"

"I was going to say that-"

"Beeeeep, Brrrrr."

Bummer.

" Pick up," Fleur pointed at my cell phone, which was buzzing again, "seems important."

"Yeah, it is, but you're also important and-"

"Beeeeep, Brrrr-"

"Ugh, just for a second, okay honey?" Assuring myself, I looked to my daughter, who nodded barely noticeably, then answered with relief, "Yeah, hey, Lester. I would have called in tomorrow because-, WHAT? YOU CAN'T BE SERIOUS?" I gasped in bewilderment and then disappeared from Fleur's room with a, "Sorry, honey, Mom will be right back,".

After all, she's too young to understand this business.

┌───── -✧✧- ─────┐
-A few streets away-
└───── -✧✧- ─────┘

JAYDIN

I could barely see my hand in front of my eyes as I ventured from one corner of the park to the next, pulling the hood of my hoodie deeper into my face as it started pouring down.

Oh great. Why did I want to come here again?

"Jay? Jay, is that you?" A person dressed all in black became visible in the fog of the night and I stopped for a moment to match the voice to a face.

Was that-,

"Price!" No sooner had I remembered where I knew that voice from, than the blonde hugged me and I grinned back.

So, the nocturnal visit to the park had been worth it after all.

"Where you heading, gorgeous lady, huh? You look like a sexy drug lord or a hit woman," Price chuckled in amusement and I laughed out loud: