"Why, is that your fancy car waiting over here?" she asked dramatically, her acting skills far less impressive than the women who had tried this sort of thing before. "I was wondering if we had a celebrity visiting our little California town with that car's gorgeous shine."

"That shine is nothing more than a trick of the eyes -- a little sun and grooming can make anything look better than it is." His eyes grazed her gaudy, lop-sided dress, and he raised an eyebrow. "You might follow that example if you have the time."

Griffin began to step away, but the woman's hand wrapped around his bicep to stop him. He ruffled his lips, turning to her.

"I was wondering if you could help me with a small problem, good sir."

"Doubtful," he muttered to himself.

"You see, I was trying to get back home. My dear sister is waiting for me - she's sick, you see - and it seems my shoes have completely worn out."

She pointed at her feet, showcasing a pair of sandals that had been obviously cut. He laughed to himself, impressed by the dedication, then looked up at the sky, nodding in thought.

"Well, today seems to be your lucky day, Miss," he replied.

Her smile widened in anticipation as she wrapped her arm around his. He slid out of her hold, pointing to the sky.

"With such a beautiful autumn day, you can walk barefoot anywhere you please."

He attempted to walk away again, but she tightened her grip on his jacket. He huffed, not attempting to disguise his impatience.

"I wouldn't be asking something for nothing, you know," Sara continued. "Is there something you might be interested in?"

As she snuggled up to him and gave a suggestive glance, he smiled and dipped his lips next to her ear.

"I want... something that's worth a fortune."

He plucked her hand from his jacket and looked at the tips of her fingers.

"But it seems to me," he continued, "that these fingers would only get my money dirty. It must be from all those gentlemen you meet on the corners."

Her jaw and her act both dropped. "How dare you--"

She lifted her hand to slap him, but he only swatted her arm away with a sigh.

"Go back to the men who pay to see you nightly," he said. "I'm sure they can give you the type of ride you women fancy."

He pulled the silk handkerchief from his pocket and brushed the sleeve of his jacket where she had touched it. With a fake smile and a curt nod, he stepped away.

"Hey!" she yelled after him as he walked away. "You think you can treat a woman however you please because you have a lot of money?"

He walked down the stairs of the bank, meeting his chauffeur at the end of the steps. He turned back to Sara as his chauffeur opened the passenger door to his Rolls Royce.

"No, Miss," he replied. "The reason I have a lot of money is because I know the women worth treating."

He got into the car, nodding to his driver.

"Home," he said. "Before I have to deal with any more city garbage."

His driver nodded, leaving the city to return to Griffin's countryside estates. Griffin leaned his elbow against the window, looking out on the city and people that he wouldn't see again for another month.

They hadn't changed much. In reality, neither had he.

Griffin's vineyards were as grand as they were intimidating. Brass gates creaked open as the car rolled in, the long stretch of stone pavement being Griffin's path back into solitude and sanity. The trees around the path had begun to yellow, not quite ready for autumn, but not holding any more interest in summer.