Chapter 14 - Prepare Yourselves

"Come again?" you asked, eyebrow raised.

Now both Hoseok and Jimin looked uncomfortable.

"Oh, good." Nara said. "I'm glad [Y/N] has you. Jungkook will be an excellent escort."

Was she crazy?

"No, he won't," you said, giving him a questioning glance.

What was he doing?

"But I may need your help, Nara." Jungkook continued. "[Y/N] has never attended a proper royal event before. She'll probably need your help with attire."

"Ah," Nara said, giggling and nodding. "You mean you want me to help her dress up. I'd love to! [Y/N], let's go look through your closet."

She linked arms with you and started to pull you away.

"But, Hoseok --" you started.

"I'll take care of him." Jungkook assured you.

Nice Jungkook was making you nervous. You squinted at him. He wrinkled his nose at you.

Nara tugged on your arm and you both went to your room. She pulled out a few beautiful dresses and had you try them on. You had to admit, seeing yourself in such beautiful clothes was pretty fun. And Nara made you laugh and feel at ease about everything. She really was sweet.

Why did Jimin seem to dislike her so much?

You both finally settled on a gorgeous powder blue dress with one shoulder. It grabbed all your curves nicely, and showed off your skin a little. Nara helped you pick out a necklace, earrings, and shoes to go with it.

"Hey, Nara," you said, sitting on the bed next to her. "I... I feel like I should apologize about the other day. With Jimin."

She looked at you, another weak smile spreading across her face. "It's not a big deal."

"I think it is." you said. "I didn't know he had a fiancee. If I knew, I wouldn't be spending time alone with him like that. There's nothing going on between us. I just wanted you to know that."

She sighed and looked at her hands in her lap. "It's okay, [Y/N]. I didn't think he talked about me much anyways."

You felt bad for her. "What's the deal with you two? You're engaged, right? Aren't you supposed to be happy when you're engaged?"

Nara laughed and shook her head. "Normally, I guess. It's a little harder when your marriage is arranged."

"Arranged?"

She nodded. "Arranged marriages are still common for royals. Jimin is old enough to take the throne, so his parents arranged us together. I can't blame him for being bitter about it."

"I can." you said. "I think you're wonderful."

She smiled.

"You really care about him, don't you?" you asked.

She looked at you, then looked off to the side. "I don't know. I guess. He's not too crazy about me, though, so I guess it doesn't matter."

You knew how much it sucked to love someone who didn't love you back. You felt that way a few times. Nara was good for Jimin. What was his problem?

She looked back at your dress, hanging on the door. "Jungkook is going to love you in that dress."

"Hmm..." you said, rolling your eyes. "Him as my date should be interesting."

"He's not that bad."

"He's not that good, either."

You both laughed.

But you couldn't help but keep wondering... what was Jungkook really up to?

--------------------------------------

A/N: Yo ~ while looking for a pic for this chapter, I've realized that Jungkook is the example of raising an animal to release into the wild. Good God.