The Beginning

WARNING MILD SWEARING .

Cold. That was the first thing that came into Isla's mind as she struggled to sit up.  She brushed her fingers against the rising goosebumps on her scarred arms, shivering. 

Why the hell was it such an icebox in here?

She tried to stand up, wobbling as her shackled feet clanked against one another.  What day was it? 

She looked at the tally engraved into the side of the doodle-filled wall, trying to count the batches of five before giving up once again and staring at the iron door. 

The door was the only way in and out of the cell, made from a heavy iron that the weakened prisoners couldn't push open, even if they managed to somehow open the seven locks that were on the outside. Sometimes the cell-guards would taunt them by mockingly unlocking the door and simply barricading it with their bodies as the prisoners would throw themselves against the door, trying to push it open.

Isla stared at the two small toddlers that also shared her cell, born and (so-far) raised in a concrete room. They were twin girls. Elysia and Elara.

Bruce had loved the name Elysia. It was quaint, beautiful, a version of heaven, the realm where fallen heroes roam.  And it had an adorable nickname, Elsy. So it only made sense she named her daughter it. And then there was Elara. He had loved that name as well, along with Isla. She thought it was cool and edgy

Isla loved her twins as much as she loved the rest of her family. But she just wished they were born before her abduction. She smiled softly at them. Elara was a quiet thinker and contraption builder, almost as refined as her father.  Elysia was as loud, obnoxious, a damn troublemaker and outgoing as her mother. Put them together and you've got a kid that masterminds the great capers and you've got the explorer and deliverer of those capers.

She shuddered again as she tried to conjure up pictures, memories, anything that'd help her get out of there, when suddenly, she was greeted by a whispery voice.

Ah, I guess it's time we met. 

With a squeak, Isla backed into the wall. "Who said that?" her unused, raspy voice grated against the air. 

Me, of course. 

Isla whipped around, looking for the source of the voice, unable to find any.

Unless you can roll your eyes back into your brain, you wouldn't be able to see me.

"Y-You're in my head? That's it. I'm finally going crazy."

That's what all you mortals think. Hmph. Do I seem like the auditory embodiment of schizophrenia to you? 

"K-Kinda." 

Okay fine, that's fair.  By the way, you don't need to talk out loud to talk to me. Just think something.

Something.

Very original, Isla.

How the frick do you know my name? Who are you? What do you want? Why are you here?

Well, I'm in your head, why wouldn't I know your name? 

Okay, good point, but you gotta answer the rest of my questions.

Well, I am Nyx. Mother of the Fates. 

And I'm Jason Bourne.

Ha. Even after all these years in this hellish place, it still hasn't taken away your sense of humor.