The Oracle of Delphi

Bruce was called into Justice League Headquarters early one mid-March morning while the rest of the family was asleep. He drank an extra-large black coffee from the 24 hour cafe in less than twenty minutes and was reaching for another extra-large coffee when Diana whacked his hand away.

"That much caffeine will give you a stroke, Bruce." she snatched it away from him, placing it just out of his reach. "Not to mention, that's Arthur's coffee. If you did drink it, he'd go all rage-of -the -sea on you."

"I only said that like once!" Arthur walked into the room. "And I was drunk!"

Cyborg just muttered something under his breath about stupid colleagues as he typed away at his computer.

Clark zipped over to where Bruce was. "Doing okay there?" Clark noted Bruce's strange lagginess, and his extremely tired face. He looked like a corpse. 

"What's wrong, Bruce?" Diana plopped down beside him. Bruce just turned away, not willing to look at any of them and instead finding great fascination in the marble floor.

" Nothing. Leave me alone."

Diana looked at Clark and signaled for him to leave. He left, letting her converse with Bruce somewhat privately.

"You're thinking of her again, aren't you?" Diana whisper-said.

Bruce continued staring blankly at the floor. 

"I know it still hurts-"

"Just, stop. I told you to leave me alone, so would you please stop invading my personal space and let me be, or are you too high and mighty to not get your nose stuck in my business?" Bruce interrupted, eyes flashing.  

Diana just gave him a look that said don't-get-all-asshole-on-me, and Bruce swiftly apologized before she could whip out her golden lasso and force him to tell the truth.

"Now, would you please be as so kind to tell me what's wrong Bruce? You know I care." 

"I-I think I'm going insane." he muttered.

"How so?"

"I keep hearing... things. Voices. A heartbeat, beeping."

"It's normal for people to hear their heartbeats, Bruce. You're not insane."

"No, it's not my heartbeat. It's the beeping of a heart monitor. I don't know what to call that sound."

"Oh. Continue."

"And I keep hearing hushed voices, quiet, quiet noises. And then a scream.  Over and over. The voices get quieter and quieter and then they scream. The type of scream that rattles your bones and makes you want to scream along with it." Bruce muttered, deducing he was going insane. Would he end up like his worst enemy? Would he end up racing through the streets with clown makeup on and a bleeding smile, shooting people just for the fun of seeing blood gush out of them like water from a fountain?

Whoa, you're getting too graphic, Bruce told himself. Diana stood up abruptly. "What are the voices trying to tell you?"

"It's undecipherable."

"They're obviously there to tell you something. Since how long did you have these voices?"

"Since two weeks ago."

"Okay, then we're definitely going." She got up, and signaled to Clark to round up the entire team and get them on a jet.

"Going? Going where?" Bruce stood up, tossing his coffee cup in the garbage. 

"Greece." Diana smiled as she started walking, Bruce slightly behind her. 

"Why? Forgot your toga?"