Black & Blue

-Past-

"Zewu Jun, how can i say that i found the one What is the color of love, people says im living in black because i cant see the real color of love.. ?? "

"Then you will first see their colour. Only when you initiate physical contact with them, then other colours start to appear too."

Uncle said that Father and Mother had been Soulmates. It was because of that Father had married Mother despite what Mother had done, just so to keep her safe.

Just because they were Soulmates.

Uncle had no Soulmate, not that Lan Wangji knew of. Uncle was contented to see the world through black and white, without the nuances of love and soulmates to interfere with his upholding of the rules of GusuLan Sect.

Then one day, as he watched disciples from prominent sects entered the Cloud Recesses for their lessons, his vision changed from black and white, to deep red.

Alarmed, Lan Wangji consulted his brother for advice.

"It appears that your Soulmate is from one of them," Brother said, watching the guest disciples with interest. "Young Master Huaisang?"

Lan Wangji shook his head. "No. He was there earlier, and I still saw black and white, then."

Lan Xichen nodded. "Then your Soulmate must either be one from the YunmengJiang Sect - the Senior Disciple Young Master Wei Wuxian or the only son of Clan Leader Jiang, Young Master Jiang Cheng."

Somehow Lan Wangji's gaze strayed to the one with high ponytail, sporting a smile as brilliant as the sun, and as he watched, the young man stopped in his tracks, blinking hard.

"What's the matter now, Wei Wuxian?" Jiang Wanyin asked, his voice irate.

"We are already late!"

Wei Wuxian rubbed his eyes.

"I see blue, Jiang Cheng! Light blue!" He grabbed the other boy's shoulders and shook him hard in his excitement.

"The colour of my Soulmate! My Soulmate is nearby!"

Heart thudding, Lan Wangji turned around and walked away, before Wei Wuxian noticed him.

Lan Xichen watched everything with knowing eyes.

Since then, he took the utmost precaution not to have physical contact with anyone, especially Wei Wuxian.

He had not met anyone like Wei Wuxian. Wei Wuxian baffled yet intrigued him, despite his determination to dislike Wei Wuxian.

His blatant disregard of the rules, carefree attitude, generous smiles and easy laughter yet he surprised Lan Wangji time and again with his promising talent and intellect so skillfully disguised behind his apparent playfulness.

The only one who insisted and persisted in calling him by his birth name.

Then when Wei Wuxian disappeared into the murky depths of the Biling Lake, Lan Wangji had never felt so scared before. He dove in after Wei Wuxian without a second thought, a hand already reaching out for him.

"Lan Zhan, why do you have to grab my collar while saving me?" Wei Wuxian rasped, coughing.

"I'm almost out of air."

Without looking at him Lan Wangji answered flatly,

"I avoid physical contact with others."

Wei Wuxian chuckled weakly. Even after barely escaping death he could still smile.