Two

The sound of footsteps in the hall wake me. Jimin's sleepy eyes peek through the crack in my door for a split second before continuing to the stairs. He's always making sure we're all covered up and sleeping soundly before he himself finally drifts off. I take a glance at the glowing face of my watch with blurry eyes and an audible groan claws itself up from the back of my throat. 2:45 am. Who else could possibly be awake at this hour? My curiosity gets the better of me and I sit up in bed, swinging my feet over the side of my warm, cozy bed. My limbs slowly start to turn cold due to the temperature of the house and I swear under my breath. Who the heel keeps changing the temperature?

          A large yawn occupies my headspace and pushes away the thought as I struggle to wake up, an indicator that I should go back to sleep and just ask the boys about it in the morning. But I decide against it. In blindly searching for my slippers, I find freezing wood floors instead and I hiss in alarm. Damn it... Who took my fuckin' slippers?

          I hear Jimin's very sleepy and extremely muffled voice drift up from the first floor and I immediately forget my missing slippers. Standing up from my bed, I stretch my body out, hearing it crack and pop like a string of firecrackers. With a groan, I move closer to my cracked door, trying to catch even a hint of their conversation but I fail horribly. I only manage to catch snippets of Jimin's worried sentences and I contemplate going down there to see what the fuss is all about but I don't want them to think I'm being nosy. So I stay in place, trying desperately to resurrect the ghosts of their words that creep and crawl up the stairs and through the halls.

          "2:47 am... Hyung, are you okay?" Jimin's voice is a little sharper now, as if attempting to wrangle the wild thoughts of a mad man. "You haven't slept, have you?" A methodical scratching sound starts to make its way up the stairs like a rat, into my ears, and deep into my brain. My hands start to itch with sweat and anticipation. What the hell is that? It can't be a bug or an animal, can it? It's too orderly and timed to be that. I can't help but get lost in trying to figure out what it is when it suddenly stops, an audible gasp taking its place.

          "Hyung, let go." I raise an eyebrow in surprise, my attention being beaten back into place like a jukebox that's just skipped out of time. "You're hurting me, let go!" My blood immediately begins to boil at this point, hearing Jimin so panicked and in pain already driving me crazy. Before I can take another breath, I throw on a shirt and swing open my door, the door knob hitting the wall behind it.

          "Jimin?" My voice drips with concern and comes out a lot softer than I want it to so I resort to just finding out what the fuck is going on myself.

          "Hyung, get some sleep before I force you to." Jimin's voice is shaky when he tries to put Hyung in his place. His footsteps bound up the stairs steadily as if not to trigger anything else in Hyung and my heart pounds uncontrollable with early onset anxiety. His breath comes out more and more ragged and upset with each step he takes and my heart absolutely splinters in half.

          "Hey, are you okay?" I step closer to the stairs as I see his flustered face pop up through the darkness and I notice his wrist cradling in his other hand as he passes me. I reach out, my hand resting on his shoulder. "Hey, stop. What the hell happened down there?" He shrugs me off and throws my hand down. He responds with a sharp "Go back to bed-" and blood fills my cheeks. He's never short with me like that.

          "I'll be fine. Leave me alone." A sigh slips past my lips as I watch him slink away from me down the hall. Following close behind, I hear him groan a soft "Kook..." in protest. A smile paints my lips. No matter how mean he is to me, he's not getting away this easy.