Nubia's Story

Thebes 1290 BC

Nubia, the priestess of Hathor. The goddess of dance, foreign lands and music as well as being the patron goddess of miners. Hathor was also the fertility goddess who helped women in childbirth. The Ancient Egyptians associated Hathor with the Milky Way which they called the 'Nile of the sky'. Anyway back to Nubia.

She was found by the First High Priestess of Hathor, the Priestess of Dendera Temple. Who raised her from an infant to be her successor one day. It was decided that Nubia would marry the High Priest Imhotep, the priest of Osiris. To combine their two temples together.

Nubia is not your typical priestess. She'd rather be outside all day playing with the local children and performing with the traveling musicians. Then be stuck in a temple listening to everyone's prayers and praying to Hathor for them. Not that, she doesn't enjoy it. She loves bringing joy to people as a priestess of Hathor. She just enjoys her freedom.

Now she won't even be allowed to marry for love. Not that she has any interest in anyone. The people who tend the temple are all female, aside from the guards. But most are either married or to old for her. Not that Imhotep will be any better, he is ten years older then her. She is only nineteen and he is twenty-nine.

Of course she does not know he is in love with the pharaoh's mistress and future wife, Anck-Su-Namun. Or that they are having an affair behind Seti the firsts' back. Right now she is dressed in her best in an Egyptian Litter being taken to Thebes to meet her fiance.

"Bisarahat , la 'afham limadha yjb 'an 'atazawaj ghrybana tmamana" Nubia whines to Amaunet. (Translation: Honestly, I don't see why I have to marry a total stranger). Amaunet is the current High Priestess and the woman who raised Nubia. She is traveling with her to Thebes, while her second in command watches over the temple.

"'Iinah lisharif liwahdina maebad mae maebad Osiris. yjb 'an tasheur bialfikhr" she tells her. (Translation: It is an honour to unit our temple with the temple of Osiris. You should feel proud).

"'Ana fakhur , walakun la yazal hunak alkthyr aldhy 'urid alqiam bih qabl alzawaj" Nubia tells her longingly. While she looks out at the rising sun  as she spots Thebes on the horizon. (Translation: I am proud, but there's still so much I want to do before I marry).  "Eilawatan ealaa dhlk , ln 'arah balkad bimujrd 'an 'asbah kahinat hthwr" she adds. (Translation: Besides, I will hardly see him once I become high priestess of Hathor ).

"Wamae dhlk , faman wajibuk" Amaunet tells her. (Translation: even so, it is your duty). Nubia sighs in defeat as they reach Thebes. The Medjai appear and escort their litter to the palace. They then help both women out of the litter and escort them to the throne room. Nubia admires the architecture and the paintings on the walls.

"Sayida Nubia" the head of the Medjai says, gaining her attention. (Translation: Lady Nubia) She had not realized she had stopped to admire the family portrait of the pharaoh with his family before Queen Tuya died.

She apologizes and enters the throne room with him. To be greeted by Seti the first, his daughter Nefertiri, Anck-Su-Namun, Imhotep and a few guards. She bows respectfully until Seti told her to rise. "Sayida Nubia, qabil kahini Imhotep" he tells her. (Translation: Lady Nubia, meet my priest Imhotep). "Imhotep,  Nubia" he says as a handsome, bald muscular man steps forward to kiss Nubia's hand.

"Yshrifuni 'an 'altaqi bikum" Imhotep say looking into her bright hazel eyes. (Translation: It is an honur to meet you). He can't deny he likes is slender frame and long dark hair. Nubia sees something is his dark eyes, that gives her chills and not the good kind.

"Alsharaf li" she tells him. (Translation: the honour is mine). She steps back to stand by Amaunet as Imhotep returns to the pharaoh's side. Anck-Su-Namun did not like the look Imhotep is giving his future bride. He is suppose to be in love with her and they are meant to runaway together.

"Kulakuma madaeuan limubarazat alyawm , sanuqrar min siahmi swar 'anubis" Seti tells the women. (Translation: You both are invited to todays duel, we will be deciding who will protect the Bracelet of Anubis ).

"Sayakun min sharafana alhudur , awlaan yjb 'an nastaqira fi gharafna" Amaunet tells him. (Translation: It would be our honour to attend, first we must settle into our rooms). He nods his head and has Imhotep lead them to their rooms. Nubia's being across the hall from his.

Once in the room she notices her cat Midnight and smiles. She pats her fondly as she looks at the room. It's bigger then the one back at the temple. She unpacks before Imhotep appears and escorts her to the match. It was between Anck-Su-Namun and Nefetiri. It was close, but Anck-Su-Namun won. She became the Pharoah's protector, while Nefertiri was made the Protector of the bracelet of Anubis.

There was a feast, then Nefertiri invited Nubia to her room. They got to know each other better. Before going out onto the balcony to enjoy the fresh air. Nubia got thirsty and went to pour herself some water. "Medjai! Mere pita ko aapakee jaroorat hai!" Nefertiri suddenly shouts. (Translation: Medjai, my father needs you).

Nubia looks up in confusion. What is wrong? "Niy!" Nefertiri shouts and goes over the balcony. Causing Nubia to scream in horror as tears fill her eyes. Amaunet rushes in and hugs her. She tells Nubia how the Pharaoh died at the hands of his mistress and how she killed herself. Nubia then told her of the princess' death.

A couple days later Imhotep was caught trying to resurrect Anck-Su-Namun. The Medjai stopped him. He was brought to trail. "High Priest Imhotep, do you deny the relationship between yourself and Anck-Su-Namun?"  Amaunet asks him in Ancient Egyptian.

"Niy" he answers.

"Do you deny being a direct cause of the death of Pharoah Seti The First And indirectly the death of Princess Nefertiti?" she asks him.

"Princess Nefertiri, is dead?" he asks shocked.

"I saw her fall off her balcony" Nubia states.

"Answer me" Amaunet orders Imhotep.

"No" he answers.

"As punishment against the Throne, and the gods above, Imhotep, High Priest will suffer the Hom-Dai, the worst of all the cursed. As for your priests, they will be mummified alive. May Allah never let you out of your grave" Amaunet degrees. The Medjai saw to it that the punishments were taken care of, then buried Imhotep at the feet of Anubis' statue as Hamunaptra.

Nubia was free to marry for love. She and Amaunet stayed in Thebes to help the people come to terms with the death of the Pharaoh and his daughter. The Pharaoh's brother Menehptre took the throne. Nubia fell for the leader of the Medjai, who taught her how to fight in secret. When she became High Priestess she married him and they had three children. Two boys and one girl.

The boys would become Medjai warriors and continue in their father's footsteps. To ensure Imhotep is never awaken. For he would arise a walking disease, a plague upon mankind, a  unholy flesh-eater, with the strength of ages, power over the sands, and the glory of invincibility. While the girl would become a priestess like her mother. But she to, would ensure that her sons and their sons would help watch over Imhotep's grave. To ensure he remains buried.

A/N

Picture above of the cover with Nubia on it and on the external link of Imhotep with Anck-Su-Namun.