Chapter One

Mulai dari awal

Fitz was happy to see a small smile form on Sophie's face. "You have a deal."

Biana, of course, didn't know that Sophie was going to be bunking with her. He was sure she figured she would take Alvar's room. He had thought the same until he heard his dad say otherwise. Alvar's room hadn't been opened since he betrayed the family. And he–probably much like the rest of his family–disliked the idea of Sophie staying in the room of a man who helped kidnap her.

"Sophie, darling." They both glanced over to find Della coming out from the kitchen. Alden stopped behind her. "Are you hungry? Would you like something to eat?"

"I'm fine, Mrs. Vacker," she replied.

"Please, call me Della. Well, if you need anything, don't hesitate to ask."

Sophie nodded. "Thank you. Um, actually, Officer Vacker, I wondered if you had heard anything yet? If there were any leads?"

Alden's eyes flicked to Della before moving closer. "I haven't heard anything, but I'll let you know as soon as I am told. Just rest for now."

His parents filed back into the kitchen. He wondered if it was as awkward for them as it was for him and Sophie, who was now back to staring at the wall. It wasn't hard to see that she hated waiting around.

Suddenly, the front door swung open. Biana came marching in, a stuffed duffle bag clutched in hand. A tall man followed her in, carrying yet another large bag. He had olive skin and pale, blond hair that brushed the top of his shoulders. Tiredly, he eyed Biana as she kicked off her flats, brushed her dark hair over her shoulder, and spun toward Sophie with a little too much excitement.

"Well! That was an adventure," she exclaimed. As she moved into the living room, the man closed the door. "We honestly need to get you some fashion sense because there was hardly anything to pick up. Do you live in oversized sweaters and jeans?"

Wide eyed and stunned, Sophie stuttered, "U-uh...yes?"

"Well, that'll need to be remedied as soon as I can get you to a mall." Biana flopped onto the couch and pushed the duffle bag toward Sophie. "I grabbed what I could. Tiergan has what he calls the 'important items'."

"She needs more than clothes," the man grumbled. He set his own bag down, and it was then that Fitz noticed a stuffed elephant in his other arm. "I figured you might want this."

Unfurling herself from the couch, she reached out for the elephant. "Thank you."

"No problem. Is Vacker here?"

"He's in the kitchen," said Fitz, knowing he meant his father.

Tiergan nodded and headed out of the room.

Biana sighed. "They're still talking?"

"There's a lot to be talked about," Fitz said. "Dad's going to have to call social services at some point. I'm sure they're just coming up with a plan."

"I'm going to be shipped off, aren't I?"

Fitz's heart pulled at how small Sophie's voice came out. Broken and tired. "Dad's making sure that doesn't happen. I heard him say he had some family friends in mind."

"Who?" asked Biana.

"Edaline and Grady, I think."

"Oh," Biana breathed, gaining Sophie's attention.

"Is that bad?"

Fitz shook his head. "No, not bad. They just...they're daughter died a few years ago. They focus on their work now a lot. But they're really nice. We met them once and they were incredibly friendly. I think you'd like them."