Chapter One

Sophie hadn't moved since she arrived. Her brown eyes were locked on the wall, her knees pulled to her chest. The only kind of emotion that was noticeable was the small pull at her brows, causing her to frown, like she was thinking, or determined. Or maybe both. It had been nearing two hours since she arrived and that expression was locked on her face.

Fitz bit his lip as he watched Sophie from the doorway. The fire was blazing in the corner. He wasn't sure if Alden had turned up the heat, but it certainly felt like the A/C wasn't on because he was suffocating. Although, perhaps it was just the undeniable tension. The confusion and sadness and anger, all clinging to them as they drifted through the house quietly, like ghosts. Fitz was sure that the somewhat silence was just a way to make sure not to disturb Sophie. Not right now. Not after what happened. She deserved a moment.

Still, Fitz wasn't sure moments were a good thing to give her because moments, much to his knowledge, gave you time to get sucked into your own thoughts. And sometimes thoughts after certain events were not exactly something a person should be alone with.

When Alden was called they had been laughing. For once, Fitz was suddenly feeling like his father cared and, well, after what they discovered about Alvar, Alden was trying his hardest to be a part of the family. Then, of course, the call came. Wiped the smiles and laughter from their faces. Alden had left immediately and Sophie had been dropped off at the house not only an hour later with Alden saying he had to go into the office and that Sophie would be staying with them for the time being.

No one fought it. Of course she would be staying. Fitz couldn't think of another place she could go. Sophie had no other relatives. Social services would need to be called, but Alden was holding off. For now, at least. At least until he could present them with another option that didn't require Sophie being shipped off somewhere alone and without anyone to trust.

Della and Alden were in the kitchen, talking in hushed tones. Fitz had stopped trying to listen to them a while ago, when he realized that Sophie probably needed someone. Even just another body in the room.

It was hard to think of what to say. What do you say to someone who lost their family? Right after being abducted and tortured for months on end? Fitz was never great with words, and now he regretted not trying to learn that earlier on. He had never wanted to read minds so much in that moment. To at least figure out a starting place.

"You can stop staring, you know," Sophie said, finally breaking the silence. Her brown eyes snapped over to him, blond hair falling like a curtain around her face. She was dressed in an oversized sweater, the sleeves covering her hands and the several scars she would surely carry for the rest of her life.

Fitz took a hesitant step into the room. "Sorry."

"Don't be."

Another blanket of awkward silence fell between them. Sophie went back to staring at the wall. Licking his lips, Fitz moved toward the chair at the side of the room and slowly sat down.

"Dad says you'll be staying with us for a while," he said.

Sophie nodded. "Is that a problem?"

Shaking his head, he told her, "Not at all. Although, you're going to have to stay in Biana's room. She sometimes sings in her sleep."

"As long as she has good taste in music, I don't mind."

"She sang Wheels on the Bus for two hours one night and woke up with a sore throat."

The corners of Sophie's lips twitched. "Maybe I'll invest in some earbuds then."

"Don't worry about it. I have a stash in my desk. You can have a pair, as long as you don't tell her I told you all that."