Twenty-One

Alyssa's POV:

I sat on Allison's bed as I watched Lydia and Allison pick out outfits for the party tonight. "Clear your schedule. This could take awhile."

"A long while. Trust me," I said with a smirk.

Lydia gave me a look as Allison asked in shock, "How many outfits do you plan on wearing tonight?"

Lydia gave a small shrug. "It's my birthday party. I'm thinking host dress, evening dress, then, mm, after hours casual."

Allison seemed shocked about Lydia's three outfits. It was totally normal. Allison then said, "I noticed that you didn't send out any invites."

Lydia let out a small scoff. "It's the biggest party of the year, Allison. Everyone knows."

Allison frowned slightly. "I was wondering if maybe this year things, you know, might be different."

"Why would anything be different?" Lydia asked in confusion.

Allison thought for a moment before saying, "Just cause things have been off lately. Things and people. Like Jackson."

"Why him?" I retorted.

Lydia nodded to me and raised an eyebrow. "What do you care about Jackson?"

Allison glanced at the two of us. "Do you know if he's coming?"

Lydia rolled her eyes. "Everyone's coming. This one's American rag." She held it up to Allison. "Mm, I love it. For me, not you. This is for you, Ally. I call it skater party girl. This one's material girl. It's for you. Mrs. Argent. What do you think of this one?"

Allison's mom gave a half-smile. "Oh, it's lovely. Allison, uh, can I grab you for a moment to talk? Just the two of us."

"Um, can we do it later?" Allison asked kind of rudely.

"Actually, uh, to be honest, sooner would be--would be better."

"Party's at ten," Lydia informed.

Allison's mom sighed. "Um, will you be around before then?"

"I think so," Allison admitted.

"You think so," her mom repeated.

"I don't know."

Allison turned back to me and Lydia. "You think so?"

Lydia sighed. "Oh, I guess that black one would fit. Alright, here you go. No, it's too much."

Allison smiled. "I think I like it."

Lydia looked excited. "You like it?"

"Yeah, no, I do. Happy birthday."

"Yes, though I've already said it, happy birthday, Lyds," I said with a smile.

Lydia smiled back. "Oh thank you. I actually appreciate that."

We spent the remaining few hours preparing for the party and making sure everything was perfect. I received some texts from Stiles informing me of some important information.

From: Sarcastic Goofball

Because we saw the car outside the rave, we have to give a statement.

From: Sarcastic Goofball

The coach of the 2006 swim team is also Isaac's dad.

I let in a sharp breath. This was new information I wasn't expecting.

Ten o'clock rolled around and I met up with Scott and Stiles. Well, I met up with Stiles on the opposite side of the door. He was lugging a huge present from the both of us. "Happy birthday! Yeah! Coming in. Oh, whoa. Can't. Okay. You know, you don't--can you just grab that side, maybe? Als, I know you're there. Help?"