chapter (2) ∆ understanding

∆Logan∆
+logic+

💙Monday, March 9th💙

Dear diary,

I realized later in my day that I have another class with Patton; third period, which is math class.
It was good, because I wished to better get to know my fellow classmates.
I had just moved to this city during the Summer, and I knew from watching enough highschool dramas that it was good to find mutuals and allies.
Then I would have the high ground.
At least, that's how I interpreted it. I'm probably incorrect, as much as it severely pains me to say it.

∆-∆-∆

The math teacher didn't assign us our seats, so I found myself a seat across from Patton that had a nice view of the board.
The class was an advanced algebra class, so it wasn't particularly full.
So me and Patton were the only ones at the table meant for 4.
The teacher got out from behind her desk and stood in front of the white board, in order to introduce herself to us.
"Hello, class. I am Mrs. Eilish, your algebra teacher. And before you comment about it, no I am not related directly to the singer Billie Eilish. Though I thank you for your interest, I'm not famous."
What?
Who's Billie Eilish?
I glanced around, but it seemed that I was the only one not getting it.
While I was glancing around, I happened to recognize a brunette boy from my first period. The one who was wearing a dramatic, frilly green scarf.
I believe his name was... Remus?
Strange name.
His parents probably scarred him for life.
Makes me glad I'm named Logan.
Remus noticed me looking at him and grinned at me.
Attention-seeking? Not sure..
"Hey, Logan." I heard Patton whisper.
I turned over to look at him.
"Sorry, but you looked kinda.. zoned out. Had to get your attention just to make sure. I-" He explained, getting cut off.
"Excuse me, Mr. Patton Sanders, is there something you'd like to share with the class?" Mrs. Eilish interrupted.
"Uh, no, ma'am. Sorry. He looked zoned out so I wanted to make sure he was paying attention." Patton scratched the back of his neck awkwardly.
His face flushed and he looked slightly put on the spot.
I frowned.
Why do I so badly want to do this boy I hardly know a favor? Why is he so friendly and sweet?
"Sorry, Mrs. Eilish. That was my fault. Please don't blame Patton." I spoke up.
Mrs. Eilish gave me a critical look.
I heard a giggly murmur from across the classroom.
Patton was looking at me with his mouth slightly agape, his eyes shining.
"..Fair enough. I'm not punishing either of you, but good job standing up for your actions, Mr. Logan Sanders."

∆-∆-∆

It was lunch time.
I personally think that lunch time is a waste of time during the school day. I think it would be better for us to eat during class, and teachers could get their own off periods where they could eat lunch and take a break. I feel it unnecessary.
Nobody would ever heed my call, though.
Patton immediately ran up to me during passing period before lunch.
Before I could say anything, he threw himself at me in an embrace.
Ahh..!
I don't like feeling emotions. But I feel happiness.. I think?
"You're so cool, Logan! No wonder you're an all A student!" Patton praised once he had finally let go of me.
"Uhh.. any time? I never said I was an all A student, Patton." I murmured.
"Yeah, but I could feel it. You have a smart aura."
"Oh.. thanks?
"Hey, Logan..?"
"Yes?"
"Why did the picture go to jail?"
He didn't wait for me to respond before finishing his joke.
"It was framed!" He burst into laughter.
I started walking towards the cafeteria, and Patton followed from beside me, continuing to crack his jokes.
It's phenomenal that he can remember all these jokes from the top of his head..
"Did you hear about the kidnapping at the school? It's fine, he woke up."
"When does a joke become a dad joke? When it becomes apparent!"
"I ordered a chicken and an egg from Amazon. I'll let you know."
"What lies at the bottom of the ocean and twitches? A nervous wreck."
"Why did the coffee file a police report? Because it was mugged."
I have to admit..
I almost laughed a couple times.
Almost.