Chapter 1

(Newts POV)

I checked the time. It was 12:55.

The greenie's supposed to come up in five minutes, and the runners were supposed to be back an hour ago. I went and stood by the doors as I heard a shriek come from somewhere inside the maze. Grievers. I ran my hands through my hair. "Come on Minho" I said to myself.

"Just bloody come out of there already"

I stumbled a little as a loud ringing started to sound across the glade.

The Greenie's here.

I ran to the box, and people started crowding around it where the doors started to open.

Gally jumped down to get a closer look.

There was a boy sitting there, in the corner all huddled up behind a barrel.

"Day one greenie," Gally said, kneeling down.

"Rise and shine!"

The newbie was practically shivering.

"W-where-" he started to cough. Gally smiled as the Greenie started to rub his eyes. I couldn't tell if it was because he was tired or in pain. Probably both.

"Where am I?" He finally pulled the words out.

Without answering, Gally looked up and Alby threw him a rope and he grabbed onto it, and when he got up Alby told the Greenie to do the same.

He stepped onto the rope, and Alby grabbed his hand and pulled him up.

He fell down right when he got up. The whole crowd looked down, laughing at him. And with that, the kid got up and started running around like a mad chicken. Although he looked incredibly stupid, the kid was fast.

I heard a lot of laughter, and Zart yelled "weve got a runner!" And everyone was pointing at him. The whole thing was chaos. Then, the kid tripped on his own feet and fell face first in the middle of the field.

I chuckled and someone behind me started jokingly cheering.

Alby then walked over to the kid and locked him up in the slammer. After a few more minutes of laughing and processing what had just happened, the crowd slowly broke up and went back to their work stations.

it gets better, i promise. just get through these parts because its important information :) just a few more chapters till stuff goes down...

-Jasmine