Chapter 23

"Might I say that you look incredibly beautiful?" Louis is complimenting Harry's mother when they arrive in front of the Le Pavillon French restaurant that evening.

Harry's holding his mother's arm in his as they're walking to the front entrance. "You really do look gorgeous, mum."

"Thank you," Anne smiles at Louis, then Harry. "This place seems very... upscale."

"Uh, yeah, that's... sorta Louis' dad in a nutshell," Harry chuckles as Louis takes Gemma's arm in his and walks slowly up the steps behind Harry and his mother.

The doorman is smiling and opening the glass door for Harry and his mum, and Harry's eyes are glancing around the busy restaurant as soon as he has stepped inside. The place is incredibly full of fancy people who look way overdressed, Harry thinks. This isn't his scene at all... and when he meets Louis' eyes he can tell that he's just as disgusted over this as he is.

"Wow," Gemma smirks immediately and shakes her head. "Oh my god. This is like... incredibly fancy...."

"I didn't smoke enough for this," Harry whispers to Louis beside him, Louis only giggling.

Louis watches while Harry steps over to tell them about their reservations... and that's when Louis sees Ben Winston standing not too far away with his father.

"Really," Louis immediately mumbles before he's sighing and trying to contain himself again. He mumbles a few curse words under his breath, trying to remind himself that he's in public.

Anne and Gemma are staring at Louis now and Harry's finally looking over to see what has pissed Louis off; he's instantly locking eyes with Ben.

The hostess points to where Mr. Tomlinson and Ben are standing, and Harry's thanking her before he's trying to put on his best act again. He's going to struggle to act through this entire night enough without Ben being present. Somehow, Harry knew Ben would be here tonight, even if he didn't want him here.

"Harry," Mr. Tomlinson speaks up immediately, "nice to see you. And this must be your mum and sister."

Harry's busy introducing his mother and sister to Louis' father and Meredith while Louis is only staring at Ben standing right across from him.

"Didn't realise you'd be joining us tonight," Louis states in the nicest way he can in public.

Ben's eyes don't break from him. "Yeah, well, Mr. Jones thought that... he would invite me for this event... since he considers me family and all..."

Louis can feel his jaw tighten and he's clenching his knuckles as he tries to ignore what Ben has just said to him.

"So, does your wife know if the baby is a boy or girl yet?" Louis decides to ask with a small smile when he looks back at Ben. "Or... would she even tell you what it is at this point?"

Ben stares at him, his eyes narrowing some, and Louis only grins more as a waiter comes to seat them.

They order wine at their table when Mr. Jones and his family arrives, and soon, Louis' father is busy asking Anne and Gemma about their long trip to New York. They discuss the England weather and Meredith can't help but smile from beside William while she listens to Gemma and Anne talk.

"The accents are just astounding," she tells them with a grin. "I could listen to you all day."

Harry smiles at Meredith before he's glancing at Louis across the table from him. Louis meets his gaze for a moment before he's looking off again... and Harry's really wishing he would've smoked more for this night.

Mr. Jones is going on about New York City and its wonderful theatres from beside Louis, and Mr. Jones' daughter tries to strike up a conversation from the other side of Louis.