CHAPTER THRITY-TWO: A walk in the sun

Mary was enjoying the last of the summer sun, as she walked through Hyde Park with Adelaide. Twas the first time the lady was outside after many years of hiding away from Arthur. But finally, after too many years, he was in prison where he could no longer taunt them or threaten them.

Adelaide still had a fear of men, which no one blamed her for. Also she did not want to go into society yet, and no one forced her. But she had sent Mary a letter, saying she was dying to go outside and enjoy the sun, while seeing her friend again.

It had indeed been a long time since Mary had seen the girl who used to live in the same house, but Mary had been too preoccupied with the many troubles that darkened her life. But finally they were over. Finally she could sleep with an easy mind and a husband by her side, while her three children were safely in their rooms, sleeping in their cradles.

The first night Nora had slept in her own bed and cried her parents awake in the middle of the night, Mary's heart warmed. One was not to love her daughter's cries, but when she had been missing for so long, every sound she made sounded like a hallelujah from the angles.

"I do enjoy the sun," Adelaide said, bringing Mary back to her thoughts. The lady had her eyes closed and her head tilted to the sun. Though summer was coming to an end, today's weather was quite warm and very sunny. As long as they stayed out of the shadow, they did not feel cold.

"Make sure do not get burnt," Mary warned. "Your skin has not seen the sun in ages. Tis very sensible now."

Adelaide chuckled as she opened her eyes and looked at Mary. "I was allowed to go to the gardens, Mary. My skin has seen enough sun. Tis the freedom and the change of scenery that pleases me so much. I have missed Hyde Park incredibly."

Mary smiled at the happiness of her friend. Everyone was happy, truly everyone she knew. Yes, there was still a loss that they were all carrying, and some had it harder than others. But Mary was certain that Andrew and his children would eventually know how to live their lives without Victoria, and they would enjoy Sophia like the little girl deserved.

"How is Eleanor?" she asked once her mind had returned to the present. "Is she still staying with Thomas?"

Adelaide shook her head. "She is living with my parents again. Ever since they heard of everything, they keep a tighter fist on the girl. They remain too kind to her to my opinion, but as not much as before. I believe Eleanor has learned her lesson."

"And what about you?" Mary asked. "Will you keep living with your sister?"

"I will not," Adelaide said with a smile. "I will be looking for my own house to live in, so that I do not have to bother Madilyn and Thomas for much longer."

Mary squeezed her friend's hand. "You have a good heart. And I hope that you find a house near mine. You will remain in London, yes?"

"Of course! I could not leave the little things I know behind. Nor could I leave my sister or my only friend."

Mary chuckled at the compliment. "You deserve this," she said. "You will finally get what it truly yours: a good life to live. Tis only unfortunate that you had to go through such hardship before the universe saw it."

Now it was Adelaide who squeezed Mary's hand. "Nothing good comes easy," she said dreamy. "And with the hardship I have received, I am sure to have a great life ahead of me."

Mary smiled, for that was all she could do. However her friend remained so positive after everything she had been through, Mary did not know. But it did not truly matter, for she was happy. And happiness was the key to a good life.

She absentmindedly rubbed her belly. Twould not be long anymore before she started showing and would not be allowed in social gatherings. She would take every opportunity to enjoy the park in these last few weeks, especially when it was Adelaide who asked her for a walk.

Suddenly she gasped as her eyes saw someone that brought her back to reality. She steered Adelaide to a different path so that they got closer to Ada – who also gasped when she saw Mary.

With a bright smile, they curtsied for each other. Then Mary introduced her two friends to each other. "Adelaide, this is Ada, my sister-in-law. Ada, this is my brother's sister-in-law."

The two ladies politely curtsied to each other, but quickly Ada took Mary's hands in her own.

"I must tell you something," she said, a happy glow around her. "My brother does not know yet, but I was on my way to you. I could not remain silent any longer."

"Then we must go home so that you can tell both Eli and I," Mary suggested. Ada nodded enthusiastically, after which Adelaide quickly excused herself and left the two ladies to hurry to Mary's house. Upon their arrival, Eli gladly met with them and Ada told the news as soon as she could.

"I am so happy to tell you that once your fourth child is born, my second will follow close behind."

Mary gasped. "You are with child again?!"

Ada nodded enthusiastically. "I believe it will be a twin."

Tears jumped in her eyes as she hugged her friend. Truly, everything was good and everyone was happy. Mary was living a life she could only dream of, but she had learned her lesson. Never would she take any amount of happiness – not matter how small – for granted.