CHAPTER TWENTY-FIVE: Lewis

There was an oddness to waking up next to her husband, but Elizabeth quickly got used to it again. Also the fact that she barely used her night gown was feeling more and more normal every night. And she quite liked it.

She could open her eyes and see her husband's face, sometimes still sleeping, sometimes already watching her. And when his beautiful blue eyes were open, she would lean in and kiss his bright red lips. Then his muscled arms would wrap around her and pull her closer, deepening the kiss.

That was the perfect way to start the day.

For an entire week, she did not have to hear the knock on the door. For seven days, William refused to work and just enjoyed the presence of his wife, children and family. They visited his sister Emily and her six children, his brother Alexander with his three girls, and of course Andrew and Victoria often saw their faces.

But every night, he would only have eye for her. He would tell her how he had waited all day to have her all for himself, and then he would prove his love by pushing her on the bed and enjoying everything she had to offer.

In the morning he would help her dress, slowing the process with kisses and gentle whispers. Whenever he smiled, her belly fluttered like it always had, and when he laughed, she wanted to push him on the bed and repeat the night before.

But William also spent time with the children. They too had missed him so much, and Elizabeth granted him every minute with them. She would just watch and enjoy the sight before her. A handsome father playing with his kind children.

Elizabeth was happier than ever before.

But the week after, William decided to go back to work. Things went back to how they were more than half a year ago. They would wake up at the hateful knock on the door, Elizabeth's lady's maid would dress her, and most of the day, William would be hidden in his study, wishing to be undisturbed.

Elizabeth could not always control herself. Sometimes she would make her way to the study without realizing what she was doing. And before she knew it, his arms were around her and their lips were touching her ever so dearly.

Today was one of those days where here instinct would take over and she would stand up without fully realizing it.

But a cry from Lewis seemed to bring her back to reality, and instead of walking to the study, she walked to her son's room. He had been sleeping during the day, for he still needed that.

But when she entered his room, she realized he did not cry because of a bad dream had woken him - although that could be discussed.

Arthur bloody Brompton was standing next to the cradle, little Lewis in his arms.

A mean smile played the man's lips as he looked at Elizabeth.

"Mothers seem to react quickly to their children's crying," he told her. "And children seem to cry quickly in someone else's arms."

"Put him back in his cradle, Arthur," she obeyed sternly, lucky she was able to keep the shiver out of her voice.

He clicked his tongue. "No can do. See, Nora is a kind girl, but it seems you do not care much for her. I have warned you. If you take away my resources, she does not get them either. But mayhap you need more encouragement." He lifted Lewis a little to show Elizabeth it was him he was talking about.

"You are not taking my son," she obeyed him again, her vision becoming blurry from the unshed tears.

"Mother?" a soft and innocent voice asked behind her.

She kept her eyes on Arthur and Lewis as she said: "Francis, get out of here."

"No, Francis," Arthur said, "stay here. Your mother will need comforting."