Chapter 3

"It's bedtime stories, papa!"

You eagerly jump around all over the bed, becoming more enthusiastic as your father finally entered the room with a tiny smile on his cold expression. He seemed tired from all the incidents that happened today but you wish that his smile will never falter so you crawled right beside him when he sat on the edge of the bed.

"Which story do you want to hear?" He flipped through pages of the thick, dusty book that compiling all the fantastical stories of your choices. His hand finally stopped on a certain chapter. "What about this one?"

"The story of a tragic knight and his lover?" You said aloud the title written clearly above of the pages with beautiful red branches patterns surrounding the text.

"This sounds like what a young girl would read," Gilgamesh said, eyes stealing a glance at you for just a second before returning his attention to the book on his lap.

"But papa, I hate tragic things." You dropped your shoulders and quietly sit back into the bed. "I don't like it if one person has to die especially when they left behind their loved ones just because of their loyalty to someone else."

"Where did you even hear such stuff?" Gilgamesh's eyebrows knitted down with much suspicion lacing on it. He fully turned his body to face you, gently putting the book into the bed and leaned closer to your face.

"I already read the story... I hate how the Knight chooses to die to save his king instead of being with his lover who throws everything in her life just to be with him." Your words were filled with sorrow that Gilgamesh even has stroke your hair gently.

He lets out a sigh and says, "That knight is a fool, but aren't we all?"

"It's as if the knights didn't love his lover and used her." Your voice becoming more cracked as you voiced out your opinion and your eyes got all soaked with the gathering tears that threatened to spill.

"God may curse that knight for letting that woman suffer. I'm sure when he reborn again, he will suffer a thousand times more." He balled his hands tightly into fists. "then, let's pick a lighter theme."

You sniffled and wiped off the tears with the back of your hand. After that, you quickly turned on pages to pages, finding it impossible to pick your favorites since you already hear most of them except-

"Papa, tell me the stories of grandma instead!"

Gilgamesh instantly turned pale.

"Papa...?" You waved your hand right in front of his face yet he still didn't blink at all.

"Your grandma is... beautiful." Red hues spread across all over his face as swift as the movement of lights. "There is no way I can talk about her stories to you."

"But I want to hear it! Grandma loves me so I want to love her back by getting to know her more!" You tugged on his robes harshly that you ended up falling into the soft mattress, his eyes only looking down at your coldly.

"Fine."

He shut the book roughly, creating a loud noise which made you shiver slightly. Then he laid down on his back right aside you and closed his eyes. You giggled and shifted closer to his side, hands reaching out to play with his blond locks.

"Your grandmother is kind, caring and overprotective. She is the type of person to cry over such little things if it befalls to her own family."

"But isn't it normal to feel that way, papa?" You inquired.

"It's annoying." His eyebrows slowly twitched, indicating the annoyance from his words, "She constantly checked on me whenever I got involved in something."

"But papa, that means she loved you more than anything." You giggled adorably.

"I know..." He slowly opened his eyes again. His gaze turned into you as he opens his mouth to say, "Do you want to meet her again?"

"Grandma loves to give me chocolates so of course!" Your eyes were immediately filled with sparkles.

"No chocolate." He coldly corrected.

"But papa, Grandma's chocolate is the best, you should try it!"

"Just this one time. You can't eat chocolate for three months after that."

"Okay..." You pouted and crossed your arms tightly, mimicking the gestures your father always had when he's annoyed.

"Want to try to go to a coffee shop nearby tomorrow?" His question came out of nowhere that you looked at him quizzically.

"But I don't like bitter coffee, papa."

"It's fine. I can request a special iced milk coffee for you. It's not bitter and it's cold like your favorite milk." Gilgamesh replied with a softer tone. Though for a few minutes he waited for his daughter's reply, he did not hear anything. So he turned his head to see her already sleeping, curling her body like a cat ever so peacefully. "You have no manners."

He put his fingers on the top of your head and transferred the magic from the tip of his fingers through your hair. You smiled in your sleep and Gilgamesh finally shut his eyes. Before the sleep consumes him, he managed to mutter words, "Thank you."

The night is cold and quiet but Gilgamesh used magic to keep the entire atmosphere warm and comfortable. The majestic moonlight pierced through the transparent glass of your bedroom's window, while a woman with long flowing blonde hair walked over to both sleeping figures sprawling all over the bed.

"Good night, my little children."