Chapter 17: Part 1

Another day of training, another day of getting my ass whooped by Ulric and his ass getting equally whooped by yours truly. Not long after I had first figured out my portalling I had finally learned my last sword technique. Since then my training every day has been on incorporating all the components together and to really fight.

Combine this much-improved skill in sword fighting with a better application of magic to enhance my combat and my danger intuition, and sometimes I felt unstoppable. The danger awareness had grown so strong that I could now sense all attack moves, no matter the weapon before they happened. I was blocking blow after blow from Ulric, and even landing some well-placed hits back.

Although just because I sensed the attacks coming doesn't mean I could stop them. I had received plenty of blows from Ulric's practice sword during our training sessions because he was too fast and too strong for me to defend.

Today was a perfect example. It was the end of our session and I was already very tired. He used a simple ovenfra that I was just too tired to fully defend and it resulted in me being knocked to the ground in an attempt to save my head from being cracked open on the side of his blade.

I lay on the training mat, covered in sweat from the physical exertion I had put my body through. My blood pulsed heavily and I could tell that my skin was flushed. I gasped for breath and grinned up at Ulric. I had found somewhat of joy when it came to sparring with him, especially since we were using practice swords. I knew I couldn't kill him and that he couldn't kill me. But I had never felt so strong and powerful before. To simply use my body and a sword, that was an extension of me, to attack and defend. I didn't need anyone else, I could take of my own and I could even win. The feeling was addicting.

"Next time bring in more magical energy so you can keep your strength up." Ulric leaned down and offered a hand to me to help me up. As I grabbed a hold of his hand I pulled down and swung my leg at his ankle causing him to topple over next to me as well.

"Never let your guard down," I teased. It was a common order he barked at me, frequently followed by a smack by the flat of his sword.

He said nothing, but the familiar pressure grew on my side and lingered around my throat. I knew he was about to launch a sneak attack so the second he pushed himself off the ground, likely to try and strangle me I used the contact with the ground to pull in enough energy to push him back down again. The sound of the wind getting knocked out of him could be heard from the force of being thrown back to the ground and I held his chest firmly into submission as I leaned above him.

"My guard is never down." I tapped my temple. "Danger intuition."

Standing I grabbed my water container and took a few grateful steps. I was still very tired and a little dehydrated from sweating so much.

"A very good lesson today, you have improved greatly. We may even graduate up to real swords soon."

I felt a surge of excitement at the idea. Walking passed the training yards during our lessons I had been growing increasingly fascinated by the sound of the swords clashing. I was nervous to be wielding a real weapon, but I was excited to take the next step in my training.

Leaving Ulric in the training yard I headed back to my room to clean up and change. I would have another "family" dinner tonight. The only problem was that these people were no longer my family, and I don't think they ever were. It made me wonder who my family was? If not my adoptive parents, and if not my real parents, then who was supposed to be my home?

The only thing I was sure of was that I hated my parents with a passion. How could I not? They lied to me my entire life and only sought to kill me. I was not their daughter; I was a means to an end.