Chapter 5: Part 2

The dining room for the night featured high ceilings, as much of the palace did, with light blue and gold wall detailing. A table large enough to seat ten was stationed in the middle. I could hardly see the dark wood grain as every inch was laden with food. King Heinrich already sat at the head of the table with Queen Luciana to his right. Only one other place setting was free, and it was directly across from Queen Luciana to the left of the king. Remembering Gerard's advice, I gave an awkward curtsy to them before taking my seat.

"Already learning the etiquette of the court," The king said, amused at my attempt at a curtsy. "Did Soren teach you that?"

"Actually, Gerard did, he's been accommodating and gave me history lessons of Erivale and Ithica on our journey here."

"Hmm, well, we were planning on having Soren take the lead on your education, but I'm sure we can consult the Faun on this matter as well." King Heinrich ran a hand through his shortly cropped and immaculate beard.

"We don't need to discuss education right now. We just need to get to know our daughter." Queen Luciana placed a gentle hand on his arm. "But first, let's get some food."

Servants seemed to melt from the shadows, and they silently cut the meat of a large bird that was set on the table before serving us slices. I couldn't even keep up with all that they were putting in front of me until they had melted back into the shadows.

Inspecting my plate, I took note of some kind of bread. It looked normal enough, so I nibbled on it while trying to decipher what else was on my plate. I stared unsure at a soup of some sort that was a deep purple in color with bits of green in it.

"What is this?"

"An Ithican specialty called Pulmenti. It's made with purpura roots, apium, as well as some other seasonings and some dumplings," Queen Luciana supplied.

I took a tentative sip and was surprised at the creamy texture. It was salty in the right way with soft dumplings that held some spice to them.

There was a silence over the table that felt awkward to me as the sound of chewing and silverware on plates filled the air. I decided to break it, this was my chance to get to know them after all and to hopefully make a good impression. "It is delicious. I haven't had much in terms of food native to Erivale, and I'm excited to see what else there is."

"Ah, yes, do you like sweets?" the queen asked.

"Oh, yes."

"Well, then you will love Dulcis as well. It's a dessert common to Ithica. It's always been my favorite."

"Well, we know one thing for certain, you inherited your mother's sweet tooth." King Heinrich chuckled, and Queen Luciana's laugh sounded like a tinkling bell. "Tell us, Amberleigh, what other things do you like?"

I was never much for talking about myself. Anytime I had to partake in "get to know you" games for classes, I always felt my mind go blank – who knew thinking of three facts could be so tricky. I decided to tell them the first thing that came to mind: "I really enjoy art. I'm, or I guess I was, an art major at school."

"Lovely! Our daughter is very talented," The queen mused.

"We shall set you up with art supplies immediately. Soren!" The king called, and Soren appeared to melt from the shadows to come to the king's side. I was startled at his appearance because I thought we had been alone. "Please see that Amberleigh's room is outfitted with the finest art supplies." He then turned back to me. "Does that appease you?"

"I, um, yes." I was taken aback at their generosity. "Thank you very much, this is too kind."

"Shush child, consider this making up for all those birth anniversaries we missed." He gave me a wink and chuckled again.