Chapter 49 - Letter from Town

Start from the beginning

Rud then asked, "What happens if the sawmill is not successful?" Billy responded that they would lose most of the money. Rud said, "Billy, I trust your judgment. I am all for it."

Patience shook her head and said, "I am all for it too." Alice already knew all about Billy's plan and was for it as well. Rud was sure Martha and Ollie would agree, so he suggested Billy get started right away.

Billy had wanted to open a commercial sawmill for quite some time, and with the inheritance, that dream was about to come true. Most sawmills used water wheels to provide the power to run the saws, but Billy was aware of steam engines also being used to provide power. His experience with his small sawmill proved a steady, consistent power source was a must.

Billy had built a small water wheel and placed his two-person sawmill where the creek narrows and picks up speed. The small water wheel worked fine when there was plenty of flowing water, but during dry spells, often there was not enough water to turn the wheel.

Steam engines were expensive, but as there was no stream or river close by with enough flow to operate a large water wheel, steam was his only option.

The problem had always been the initial cost of the sawmill and steam power plant. With the inheritance, Billy could purchase the equipment and get the sawmill set up and producing in short order.

Billy knew of a property just outside their valley that would be suitable for the sawmill operation. There were other properties close by he could acquire outright or pay the owners to harvest the trees. Several area farmers stated they needed land cleared for crops, and Billy could have the trees if he cleared the land for them. It was time for Billy to start his business.

Billy would need to travel to purchase the land and equipment. It would be his first business trip and at sixteen-years-old was quite a task. Charlotte arranged for a lawyer to meet Billy, handle the legal and financial arrangements, and ensure Billy was not taken advantage of by the equipment dealers.

Alice, who had just recently turned sixteen, was there when all the plans were made, but uncharacteristically for her did not expect to go with him. Billy told her while he went to buy some new suits in one of the nearby villages, she would need to find a dressmaker and get several new dresses made for the trip.

When Billy saw the surprised look on her face, Billy gave Alice the "don't you even think about going without me," look Alice had used on him many times. Alice just smiled. Billy said, "I promised."

Alice knew if anyone in the city found out she was sleeping in the same bed as Billy, it might create a problem. When she asked Billy about it, Billy said, "We won't tell them we are not married, and if they ask, we will say we are."

Billy told Alice he could not do this without her. Alice knew tonight was going to be one of those nights it would be tough to keep her hands off Billy as right now she wanted him more than ever. It would be their first trip just the two of them.

The day came, and Billy and Alice rode their horses to the same small town where they had met with the judge. Once there, Billy arranged to have the horses boarded at the local stable, and he and Alice walked to the offices where they met the lawyer.

Billy had communicated with the lawyer in advance, and the lawyer had all the papers ready first to create the new company then arrange for the purchase of the properties. Alice noticed the name of the new company was PAMBRO and made a mental note to ask Billy about it later. A visit to the local bank and the transfer of funds was arranged.

Their business concluded for the day Billy had arranged for a hotel in the city where sawmill and steam engine suppliers were located. He and Alice walked hand in hand down to the train station and bought their tickets. It was the first train ride for both of them. When the train arrived, they followed the other passengers on board and found a bench seat where they could sit together. Alice sat by the window.

The train ride was very exciting. The train picked up speed and went very fast on the long straight sections. Alice, happy to be with Billy on what she considered a grand adventure, smiled and held Billy's hand tightly as the train swayed, bumped, and lurched down the tracks.

When they reached their destination, Billy went to the ticket agent and asked directions to their hotel. Alice had been born in a city, but this was all new to Billy. The town he was from was nothing like the city they were in now.

Finding their hotel, Billy walked in first. Alice was concerned about appearances and lagged behind Billy a few steps. Alice tried not to look nervous, but she was. Billy motioned for her to join him at the desk, but Alice kept her distance.

Alice was not sure why she cared what people thought, but she did. Billy thought she was afraid she would not be allowed to share a room if people knew they were not married. But Billy knew Alice, and there was no way anyone could keep her out of his room.

Alice was relieved when the desk clerk did not even appear to notice her and gave Billy the key.

Billy asked where would be a good place for supper and the clerk, tired of being asked the same question by nearly every person who came in, gestured in a direction and said the name of a local restaurant. Billy and Alice went to the room, unpacked their clothes, and sat by the open window talking and looking at the tall buildings and long narrow streets before them.

When the sun went down, they left the hotel and walked towards the restaurant the clerk had recommended. The recommended restaurant was nothing special, so Billy suggested they backtrack a little and eat at a much fancier place they had passed moments before.