Chapter 2

Given that I only had 30 minutes to get back to my house to leave to the party, I ran into the Gucci store and bought the first dress that was my size. A red satin spaghetti strap dress. I ran to my house, put it on and got into the car with my parents.

"Nice to see you're finally here!... what were you doing out all day?"
My mom asked as she looked back at me from the passenger seat

"I went to pick out this outfit and went to the book store"
I replied.
The Gonzalez's were an older rich couple that lived across town. All I knew about them was that my parents had been going over to their house on some weekends for about two months. I didn't want to go but I had no choice.

We pulled up to a big spanish style house with a curved driveway. I noticed there were no other cars parked in their driveway and I realized that this wasn't a party... this was a "bring your daughter so she can meet our kids" kind of party. Which I am so not comfortable with. You can't just put two kids in a room together and expect them to become best friends. But my parents had put me in situations like this before so I was used to it.

We walked toward the front door, my dad looking smug as usual and my mom walking beside me.

"Cross your legs when you sit dow-"
My mom started to whisper scream in my ear as we were greeted by the Gonzales's.
We walked into the house as Mrs. Gonzales looked at me and smiled with her bright red lipstick and her giant teeth.

"Astrid have you met our son?"
She asked as I stood there trying my best to look excited.

How could I have met your son lady, I just met you. I thought to myself.

"This is Eduardo, my son" 
She said as a short, middle aged, unkempt looking man with acne scars creeped out from behind her.

"Hi"
He said. Looking at me up and down like I was a piece of meat. Jesus.

"Hi"
I said a bit sarcastically as I returned his handshake. His hands were moist.
Trying to mask my irritation, I smiled

We all sat down for dinner immediately, I guess their chef had been cooking all day because the table was laid out with a huge feast. I ate in silence while everyone at the table shared stories and memories while they laughed. I couldn't help but feel some extremely awkward tension. Mr. and Mrs. Gonzales kept staring at me and their son like they wanted us to talk to each other. I spaced out during the dinner multiple times, my mind kept replaying my encounter with Dave over and over. I thought about how nerdy and adorable he looked trying to speak English to that guy earlier today and I giggled. Everyone at the table looked at me.

"What's so funny?"
Eduardo asked me as he chewed his steak with his mouth wide open, leaving the sounds of his saliva exposed for everyone's ears.

"Oh nothing, I'm just gonna run to the bathroom" I said excusing myself to get at least 2 minutes of privacy. I needed a break from the awkward tension.
Why did they keep looking at me like that? Most of all why does Eduardo keep looking at me all pervy.. gross. I walked back to the table and sat down.

"Well we're going to get going, gracias for having us."
My dad said as we got up and walked toward the door.

"Aren't you forgetting something Astrid?"
My dad said looking at me and Eduardo.

"No?"
I said confused

"Give Eduardo a hug mija"
My dad said with a desperate look on his face.

In that moment I had an epiphany. This entire dinner was set up to get me and him together. Why would they not tell me about this? Most of all why would they do that? He looks like he's in his 30s.