Chapter 1

"Astrid! Wake up, breakfast is ready in the kitchen."
Carmen, our maid said to me- attempting  to speak English as she put the last of my clean folded clothes in my dresser and walked out of the room. I woke up to the morning sun flooding in through my window as I made my bed and walked downstairs and into our kitchen. Our house was obnoxiously large with all of the bells and whistles. I secretly hated that our house had staff but I guess it comes with the territory when you were born into a family of world known drug lords.
"Good morning mija..."
My mom greeted me as she sat down at our kitchen table.
"Hi mom"
I said back to her while sitting down in my usual chair. Our chef placed our plates of eggs and chorizo in-front of us and we both ate and had small talk. My mom and I don't have much of a relationship. Her and my dad are madly in love and on top of that, she almost always spends her time at parties with him, attending her tennis classes, getting wine drunk with all of the other women with rich husbands or  shopping for furniture, clothes, a new house, you name it. My parents buy houses like they cost nothing. My Dad however, is Mexico's most feared drug lord. He's basically the boss of every drug dealer and border smuggler in the country. I don't have much of a relationship with him either, our interactions are mostly him getting on to me about my studies or bossing me around. Oddly enough, My parents continue to keep up the facade of owning an "American wine buisiness" so that everyone around us will think we are wealthy Americans. They enforced when I was little that I had to have English as my primary language even though most people in public speak Spanish. But I understand that it's only to further prove our lie of a life.

"Mija, I need you to dress like a lady tonight for the party at Mr. and Mrs. Gonzales's house"
My mom said as I raised my eyebrows at her

"Do I usually dress like a man?"
I replied

"No.. but you know, dress formal. Don't embarrass us. I have a nice dress for you to wear"
She said.

"Is it the mysterious dress that appeared in my closet this morning?" I asked

"Yes," she chuckled. "Please wear it mijita it will flatter your shape. Or at least go pick out something new today, I'm gonna go for my tennis class in 30"
She said with her choppy English.

"I'll go to the store then"
I said as I walked upstairs to go change into something cute. I put on a floral sundress and some tan wedges, did my makeup and curled my dark brown hair, grabbed my purse and walked down to the strip.
Our house is in a gated community just behind the beach strip. There, they have clothing stores, restaurants, and tourist attractions. It's walking distance so I usually walk on the beach or the strip and listen to music or shop when I'm bored or frustrated. But today I had to find a new dress.
I walked into a couple of stores hoping to find something I liked but I couldn't. The last store I went into, was a Gucci store attached to a tourist attraction shop that just so happened to have girls party dresses in stock. The two stores were separated  by a see- through glass wall on the inside. I found my way to the dresses and started to scope out the selection when I noticed something orange out of the corner of my eye. Out of curiosity, I turned around to see a tall white man with big, long, curly orange hair, a white t shirt, blue acid wash skinny jeans, and a frustrated look on his face. I watched him for a second before realizing that he was trying to ask the Mexican employee in the tourist shop a question while the employee stood there confused as the man with orange hair repeated his question over and over. I figured that the employee only spoke Spanish and the orange haired man was asking him a question in English. Me being myself, I decided that I should go help the guy out since I was bilingual.

I walked into the tourist shop and up to the two men.

"Hi! Can I help you with something?"
I said to the orange haired man.