Before Ball - Age 16

Start from the beginning

He swept his legs slowly around the bed to sit and reached for his wooden crutches and carefully got up. No one dared tell him otherwise, "Janet, walk with me." He hopped towards the exit.

Jayne looked around quizzically until she realised he was referring to her, in which she forcibly obliged. No one could deny royalty.

"What is it, your highness?" She smiled forcefully.

"Oh, please, you saw me crying like a child a week ago, and I already told you, no need for such formalities, Desmideus will do when we're alone."

"Okay..."

Des headed towards a balcony, as it was very inconvenient for him to travel by stairs. Jayne, being the polite girl she is, opened the door for him, which he did not give thanks to.

The view was gorgeous.  It was the backside of the capital with the mountains that painted in the view, she was once again in awe, which Des chuckled at.

"What?"

He rested on the ledge, "I never knew you were easily impressed."

Jayne frowned and walked to the marble railings, "When you see something like this every day, you get used to it, Aeaea isn't nearly this pretty."

He glanced outwards to the view, the slight wind blowing his hair back as it does in the movies. Everything about this world was so artificially beautiful.

"If you don't mind me asking, why did you ask me here?"

He turned to her, "You're the only one close to my age in that room, seems kind of weird to hang out with someone as old as my dad." He huffed and looked down.

That was not the answer Jayne was looking for, but she didn't want to pry.

"I'm sorry for earlier, being broken like this had made me a bit cranky."

A prince? Apologizing? To her? That was a first. Jayne really needed to leave, "I kinda need the lavatory."

He glanced up at her, "Why, do I make you that excited, is that why you ran out earlier?"

Jayne stood up straight ready to smack some humility into him, but stopped when she realised something, "What do you mean ran out earlier?"

"When you came to check on me, and we were alone, I thought to tease you a little bit but you ran off before I could go any further."

"Wait..." Jayne bit her cheek and stood back. That little bastard was faking? He didn't even have amnesia, he was teasing me! What the actual-, "If you weren't already injured I'd beat the crap out of you." She threateningly whispered, which he only laughed in response.

"If I wasn't injured, you wouldn't stand a chance, so you might as well do it now."

He was inviting her to a dangerous game, if he wasn't royalty, he would be smacked down to the ground right now, but she didn't want another problematic situation, as the last time a commoner laid a hand on a person of importance, a loved one lost their life.

"I'm leaving, I actually want to spend my birthday with someone whose company I actually enjoy." She opened the door.

"You mean your boyfriend."

She slammed the door on him, knowing he would struggle to open it.

Jayne had to wait a few hours before Abraham was finished in the stables doing god knows what, she wanted to pay him a visit, but didn't want to intrude on his work life, because she was a respectable human being, unlike some people she knew. So she went back to the infirmary and scoffed and hoard the remaining cupcakes and went into a food comatose for a few hours, in her room of course.

The gentle sound of a knock and the door opening stirred Jayne awake.

"Happy birthday to you..."

Jayne opened her eyes to see Abraham tenderly singing. As a character in this game, of course, he sang beautifully.

"Happy birthday to you..."

She sat up, "Okay Abraham I'm up. She sat up from her bed.

"Happy birthday to Jaynie, happy birthday to you." He knelt down beside her.
"I see you enjoyed my cupcakes." He looked at all the empty cupcake wrappers scattered around her bed, leaving crumbs for the mice to snack on.

"They were very delicious, yes."

Abraham gleamed at her praise, "Come on." He took her hand. "I have a surprise for you." He pulled her out of bed, Jayne didn't say a word, knowing in previous years he never gave a hint as to what their day would entail.

He dragged her down the stairs whilst maids were scurrying up like cattle. Pushing through and walking down the only corridor Jayne knew; the one that led to the stables.

The stables had cleared out, and all there was a saddled up brown horse. "Boss said I could only rent out one of the horses, I hope that's okay with you." He shone brightly. Jayne tilted her head in disbelief but didn't want to call him out, allowing him to indulge in such intimacy as he hoisted her up and sat behind her, wrapping his arms around her figure and held the rails. She fitted so perfectly into him, like the final piece of a jigsaw puzzle.

They rode off into the sunset, as cheesy as it was very sweet. Jayne wasn't clueless and took a guess he harboured some feelings for her, considering everything that has happened thus far. She'd have to make sure not to lead him on. But his hold was quite soothing, would it be so bad?

It would be. After what happened, she took Anastasia's words to heart. She shouldn't meddle. But maybe they could live a life somewhere in the countryside, away from all the chaos. Would that be alright?

What was Jayne thinking? She's acting like they're going to get married. One step at a time.

"You okay?" He peeped his head over her shoulder.

Jayne, not handling such proximity, turned red, "I-ye-yeah, just a lot to think about." She smiled unsurely.

"Well, don't, I say enjoy the night, and the ride." He stopped as they came to a hill that looks off into the mountains. The area was very reminiscent of another memory.

"You never got to really appreciate it last time, and I don't really know the city well enough to be your tour guide."
"It's beautiful."

He sighed looking at her, and whispered, "So are you." Which she did not hear.

And the other person hiding behind the trees had to agree.