Part 4 (Chapter 16 - 20)

Start from the beginning

'S-s-sire...' the guard stammered.

'Spit it out,' Hakon snapped.

'They have returned.'

Theodoric reigned in his soaring hope. Could it be another they the guard referred to? But who else could it be? It had to be them. He wanted to rush to the courtyard and see for himself, but a king could not show his emotions in such a way.

'Hakon see what this is guard is on about,' he ordered

Hakon bowed and followed the guard out of the hall. The heroes began whispering amongst themselves. Everybody watched the doors waiting to see who would walk through them. When the waiting had grown to be almost unbearable, the doors swung open.

Erik entered the hall first. His hands and his clothes were caked in mud and dried blood. He walked with a stride full of pride and did not lower his eyes to any of the men in the hall. Bjorn was a few paces behind. He was also covered in dried blood. Over his right shoulder, he carried a long package wrapped in a blood-smeared blanket. Drops of blood dripped from the end leaving a trail on the floor. Nobody spoke. The heroes watched with disbelief as they walked down central aisle to the dais at the front of the hall. Erik stopped in front of the king and bowed as Bjorn placed his package on the floor at the king's feet.

'You have returned. The first to do so,' Theodoric said his flat voice masking the joy he felt. He looked down at the blood soaked package in front of him. 'What have you brought me?'

'Proof of our success, sire,' said Erik unwrapping the blanket. The heroes rose from their seats and pressed forward to catch a glimpse of the trophy. As the blanket fell a way, they gasped in wonder. The lower part of a huge leg lay in front of them. At one end was a massive paw, the other a bloody stump where it had been cut from Varg's body.

'I have seen enough,' the King said. He turned to Hakon. 'Get rid of it. Burn it, burry it I care not. Just rid me of it.'

Hakon summoned a group of guards to wrap the bundle back up and carry it out of the hall. It took three men to carry what Bjorn had flung over his shoulder and carried into the hall with ease. Theodoric waited for them to leave before turning to Bjorn.

'You have brought me back a leg. Where is the rest of the beast?'

'This is not my kill, sire,' Bjorn said 'It is Erik who you should ask.'

Theodoric smiled. So the boy had succeeded when so many have failed. For some reason he was not surprised. He looked down at Erik 'Very well then, where is the rest of the beast?'

'Varg lies in the forest where he died,' Erik said. 'We would have brought you his head had it not been too large for us to carry. However, if you insist I can take you to his corpse.'

'There is no need. The paw is enough proof for me,' the King said allowing himself to smile at last. 'You must tell the tale of your hunt to the bards. We would all be interested in how you succeeded when so many have failed. But first remind me of your reward?'

'A ship and men brave enough to crew it, sire,' Erik said.

'If that is all that you desire then you will be granted it. I will give you the best vessel in our fleet and the best men to crew it. Hakon you will see that this is arranged. And you Bjorn, you played a part in the boy's success what do you want?'

'I want nothing from your hands, sire,' Bjorn said. He knelt down before Erik. 'Though, if Erik permits it, I would like to remain in his service.'

'Of course,' Erik grinned turning red in the face. Embarrassed he waved Bjorn back to his feet.

Theodoric clapped his hands together. 'Let us feast and celebrate the victory of our heroes.'