Twas the Mission Before Christmas

A/N: Super late but finally found inspiration. Enjoy!

Chapter 18

I dodge cobwebs as I search alongside Leo for the last box of Christmas decorations. I stumble upon boxes containing photos, records, and clothes from Davenport's past before I finally spot the final box.

"Leo!" I call out, "Over here, I found it."

Leo hurries over to me and wipes off the top causing us to cough and gag as the dust particles reach our mouths.

"Nice job, Leo!" I groan. "Come on, let's bring this down."

I grab one end and he grabs the other but, while the box is relatively light, Leo is struggling to lift his side of the box. He grunts and grits his teeth but it won't budge.

"Okay, you need to start lifting or something," I say.

"I don't want to get too bulky. You know I want everything to be proportionate," he lies.

"Whatever you say, Leo," I say, "I got this."

I stare at the box focusing on how happy the Davenport family seems to be at the Christmas season. Seeing Adam's eyes light up as we chose a tree, Bree's satisfied smile at Leo's eggnog recipe, even Chase seems to be enjoying the Christmas music on the radio. This all floods into my mind helping me activate my molecular kinesis.

The box begins to glow red as I take hold of it and lift it into the air. I guide it down the attic stairs as Leo follows behind me. I manage to keep control of it until we reach the living room where I gently place it on the ground.

I expect a nosebleed or headache to follow but I feel nothing. I touch my nose just to make sure but find it dry. I can't help but give a little laugh.

"Everything okay?" Leo asks as he opens the box to find stockings and ornaments.

"More than okay," I say not trying hide the surprise in my voice, "Great in fact."

Leo and I continue to rummage through the box finding tangled lights, spare ornament hooks, and some holographic garland.

As I begin to de-tangle the lights, I hear Adam call out from the kitchen.

"Who wants a Christmas cookie?"

I start to feel hunger pangs as we have been decorating nearly all day. My mouth starts to salivate as Leo and I make our way over to Adam. Once we arrive, the giddy smiles we had been sporting vanish as we see the unbaked cookie dough.

"Adam, those aren't even cooked," Leo tells him.

"Oh, no problem." Adam uses his heat vision in the cookies but he overdoes it leaving them in literal flames. "Careful, they may be hot."

I decline suddenly not feeling very hungry. I'd rather have eaten them raw. Adam attempts to blow out the flames as we hear the door slam open.

I quickly turn around, ready to fight if it happens to be an intruder but instead it's Bree looking very irritated. Before I could even ask, she informed us what is bothering her.

"Okay, who covered the entire house in blinking lights? People already think we're weird, we don't have to shine a light on it," she says.

"No, I did that," Adam says, "I want to make sure Santa Claus comes to our house first."

"Adam, we all love Christmas but I think you're going a bit overboard," Leo says.

I hate to agree but they have a point. I don't want to dampen his Christmas spirit because it's obvious how happy the whole season makes him but he did set fire to his Christmas cookies.