Mission: Mission Creek High

Chapter 22

It's almost normal this morning, even for the Davenports. There's no triton app, there's no upcoming stunt, and those I hold dearest to me are sitting beside me. There aren't even wacky shenanigans going on, just breakfast. Adam is indulging in a banana, though he decides to remove the peel from the bottom before eating. Leo is adding extra sugar to his already sweet cereal while looking confusedly at how Adam eats his banana upside down. Bree is looking over at her brothers in disgust and Chase lectures Leo against having that much sugar, especially in the morning. Though I think Leo should be able to make his own decisions, and this particular mistake, I cannot find the energy to interject. There's been so much change, so many hardships that I still have nightmares about. My bruises have faded but I can still fully picture Chase in that trap from when I used my mental manipulation to contact him. The way they spoke about Krane still sends shivers down my spine. I don't want him to take them away from me again. I hold Chase's hand tightly which he does not object to even squeezing back at intermittent times.

In fact, to distract him from warning Leo about the dangers of too much sugar, I give his hand a brief peck. Leo acts disgusted, fake gagging onto his cereal but I know he is grateful since it allows him to add more spoonfuls while Chase turns his attention to me.

"Is there anything you need?" he asks, facing me.

"Just the usual," I say, a blithe smile on my face, "A little affection from my favorite person." He returns my smile, leaning to kiss me. I relish the feeling it gives me, a feeling of pleasure I've missed immensely.

Bree, having heard this comment, clears her throat.

"Okay," I chuckle, "I'm sorry, Bree. But you'll always be my best friend. ."

"Yeah, sorry you had to find out the news this way," Chase quips. I give his shoulder a playful shove as he kisses me once again. His lips are intoxicating and each one makes me crave another.

As we clear away our dishes, Davenport enters with glee written all over his face. We didn't need to be told what had made him react this way. It was officially done.

The lab, which was the first thing Davenport used the jet wing money for, is finally done. There was plenty of time before we needed to leave for school and I needed to see it. I mourned the original lab when it was destroyed. There were so many memories there, some good and others bad but each one precious to me. I couldn't imagine the pain the others felt as what was their sole home for most of their life was gone. Adam never let his smile falter on his face, eternally joking to lighten the mood, while Bree hid behind the happiness of no longer living in the basement. Chase refused to talk about it.

Davenport led us down to the basement while singing, "I got a new lab, I got a new lab, I got a new lab."

The tune is a little catchy and I fear it will be stuck in my head.

"Whoa, whoa, whoa," Bree interjects, "I think you mean we got a new lab."

"Excuse me, did we pay to rebuild it?" Davenport asks.

Bree retorts, "Do you sleep in a glass box?" She may act like she hates her capsule but I know the trouble she's been having with sleeping lately. She can't get comfortable laying horizontally.

At Bree's statement, Davenport changes his time, "We got a new lab we got a new lab."

This time Chase and Leo join his dancing though just for a moment. I can't blame them as it is catchy. Chase has a sweet moment where he twirls me, leaving me giddy.

"And here it is." Davenport hits a button on his tablet which makes the door slide open.

We all marvel at the lab. While even I can tell the technology is improved, I miss the old layout. This one is quite beautiful with the new color scheme and its pretty new console. The capsules look more spacious and are more octagonal than circular. I can still see the bones on the original lab in the entrances and placement of certain objects. While I'm happy that everyone else seems glad at the new space, I find myself still feeling a pang of sadness fearing I may not fit with this new lab.