Prior Life - 2na (Hybrid AU)

Start from the beginning

The woman knelt down, seeing the kitten hiding under the bed.

"I know your name is Mina... Right?" The woman asked. She blinked in response to her. Watching her carefully. "My name is Sana." She smiled. Mina watched her, unsure on how to react. Usually children were always trying to pull her out of her hiding place. "Do you like treats?" Sana pulled a small plastic bag out from her bag and opened it. Mina immediately smelt the chicken and moved her head closer to it. "No one can resist chicken." Sana chuckled. "Come here. Have some." She smiled while holding out a piece.

Mina hesitated, watching her hands carefully as she pulled herself out from under her small bed. Sana was careful not to make any sudden movements, watching her as she came out into the light. She was shocked to see such an elegant kitten hiding away. Usually kittens like her were in shows for best breeding...

"I.. I can talk.." Mina whispered, taking the chicken out of her hands gently.

"You just don't want to?" Sana asked. Mina shook her head, eyeing the chicken in her hands.

"I want to go home..." She whimpered.

"A new home?" Sana asked. Mina shook her head. "Old home..." Sana sighed. She read her file. They found her on the streets... probably lost. "How about.. You go home with me... and I can make it like your old home." She smiled.

Mina still hesitated, so Sana made it a point to visit the kitten everyday after work. Just to build her trust. Within a week, Sana was signing her adoption papers, and getting Mina's file. She opened it up, her past hybrids never came with a file. She saw her pedigree and immediately was taken back. It wasn't on her chart... Just said she was found in an alley...

Mina sat in the backseat of Sana's car on the way home, her leg bouncing from her anxiety as she looked out the window.

"We're almost home." Sana smiled. Mina felt nervous. She didn't know what to expect. When they arrived at the giant building, Mina felt a little more at ease, knowing it was a giant building. But when Sana explained that she only had the one space... Mina didn't understand until they got inside.

"You only have one?" Mina asked.

"Yes, this portion. And one room." Sana sighed. "But! I set up a bed and everything for you." She smiled while walking into the back bedroom. Mina followed, seeing the space for her. "We can always go shopping later for a better bed—what are you doing?" Sana looked behind her seeing the kitten climbing on her bed.

"My old owner let me sleep in the bed with her..." Mina frowned, ears drooping at the memory. "She said I kept her warm..."

"Oh.." Sana whispered. "What happened to her?" She asked.

"She died." Mina frowned. "She was a nice lady... Her house was huge!" She smiled. "Always gave me treats... And Bernard and Gerald always got me new collars for different occasions..." She mumbled. "And Stephan would make the best breakfast."

"Who are all of those people?" Sana was clearly confused. How many owners had this kitten have??

"Butlers. Edna was my owner." Mina smiled, recalling the memory. Her hand went up to her bare neck, frowning at feeling nothing. "They took my collar when I arrived at the shelter... I don't know what they did with it." She frowned. Sana felt for the kitten. She really did.

"What about..." Sana walked over to her closet, opening the doors and walked in. She searched for a bit before finding a spool of ribbon she had for gifts. It was a pastel pink color, but she liked it. She cut a decent size, walking over to Mina. "A bow until we get the perfect collar?" Sana asked.

"A bow?" Mina tilted her head in confusion.

"Like this." Sana wrapped the ribbon around her neck, pulling her hair out from it and tying an adorable bow on the side of her neck. "See?" Sana smiled while showing her her reflection in the mirror. Mina smiled, admiring her new bow.

"It's perfect." She smiled quietly.

That night when Sana climbed into bed, she saw Mina nosing at her bed across the room. Her little nose scrunched up in obvious disgust with the space.

"Wanna cuddle in the bed?" Sana offered her.

"No.. I'll be fine.." Mina mumbled while getting into her bed.

After an hour, both were fast asleep. It wasn't until midnight when Mina woke up shivering. Yes she had a blanket but the window was open and the cool night air made her extremely cold. She frowned at the sight, wanting to shut it and curl up under as many blankets as possible but there was no way that was going to happen. She looked up at Sana's bed... There was enough space for her...

She quietly and carefully got out of bed, quickly going to Sana's bed and slipping under the covers next to her. She smiled at how warm it was under the blankets and curled herself up. She wasn't used to sleeping next to someone for a while... But it felt nice again. Until Sana wrapped an arm around her while she was sleeping and pulled her close.

Mina froze.. Unsure of what to do now. She felt comfortable... So she rolled over and nuzzled her face into Sana's neck. She smiled at how warm she was and immediately started to doze off. 

Sana woke up the next morning, completely tangled in Mina's embrace and felt her ear twitch against her lip. It took a few seconds to really figure out what was going on, but she eventually smiled at the kitten's sleeping figure. She decided to stay home from work today, claiming she was ill and needed the next two days off to recover. Only because she wanted to stay home with the kitten. Mina enjoyed it greatly, by the second day she was already attached to Sana, being bold enough to kiss her cheek and thank her for giving her a new home.