Reach Out

He was halfway out of the door when he got Wonshik's message.

"I've already found someone amazing" It came with love and happiness and Hakyeon had to pause for a moment.

Surely he didn't mean to send that, he must've been talking to Taekwoon about something and it slipped. Hakyeon stayed quiet, not wanting to respond in any way, knowing he'd probably embarrass Wonshik. A quick shake of his head cleared his thoughts, and he set off to find Jaehwan.

Hakyeon knew the leader probably didn't want to be found, but he couldn't let his friend suffer alone.

"Jaehwan?" He called through the hollow, looking around and trying to catch his scent.

"What is it?" His tone was dismissive, and Hakyeon spotted him in the tree.

"Are you okay?" Hakyeon moved to climb up there.

"How's Sanghyuk?" Jaehwan didn't look at Hakyeon as he joined him.

"Still asleep, but safe" He tried to study Jaehwan's expression, "I'm sure he'll be fine, just a little bump in the road"

"And what if he isn't?" Jaehwan shot back, "What if he goes rogue? What if he leaves?"

"Why would he? You're getting worried for no reason" Hakyeon wasn't sure if that was the truth, but he wasn't going to let Jaehwan know that.

"Why wouldn't he?! We've all been lying to him, once he finds out he'll hate all of us" Jaehwan met Hakyeon's gaze, and for a second he thought he saw a tear forming.

"If he learns the truth then he'll know you were just trying to protect him" Hakyeon watched as Jaehwan took a shaky breath.

"Just because we think that doesn't mean he will. I just.. Don't want to lose him again" Jaehwan let a tear fall and sighed, "I'm sorry, I haven't been myself since it happened"

"That's why I'm here, to make sure you're okay" Hakyeon gave him a sympathetic smile.

"What a clan leader I am, running away to cry about the situation instead of helping" Hakyeon narrowed his eyes at this.

"You're not void of emotions, Jaehwan, you got him home safe didn't you? You did as much as you could" The leader scoffed at him.

"He wouldn't be like that if it weren't for me, you know that as well as I do" He looked away from Hakyeon, to a carving in the tree that Hakyeon couldn't quite make out from his spot.

"It's not your fault, you just won't admit that" Hakyeon sighed.

"If something were to happen to those two, wouldn't you blame yourself too?" Jaehwan's fingers traced the carving and Hakyeon looked down.

Jaehwan was right, but he didn't want to tell him that.

"How are they?" A change of subject that Hakyeon thought might actually be good for him.

"They're doing well, the fire didn't damage much" Hakyeon answered, but Jaehwan was still looking at the carving.

"Is that what the emergency was?" Hakyeon just nodded, "Are they just your friends or... Is there something more?"

"Actually, Taekwoon and I just started dating" He was partially scared of Jaehwan's reaction, but the leader smiled softly.

"That was fast, but I guess now's the perfect time since Hongbin and Sanghyuk are distracted" Jaehwan let his hand fall from the tree, then looked to Hakyeon, "Aren't you scared?"

"Why would I be scared?" Hakyeon didn't know what to expect from Jaehwan at this point.

"Scared of being found out, separated" Jaehwan's eyes were almost challenging him.

"I'd be the only one in real danger, and I'd still be linked to Wonshik" Jaehwan raised his eyebrows at this.

"You're at telepathy already?" He didn't seem mad, which was good.

"Yeah, and I have a question about that" Jaehwan laughed for a moment.

"And you think I'd have an answer? I've never linked before" There was a small smile and Hakyeon thinks Jaehwan was starting to feel better.

"Well, you might know" Hakyeon paused to put together his question, "If you were to kiss someone else, would the person you're linked to feel it too?"

"It's based on emotion, so I guess if you projected it then they would" Jaehwan was interested now, "So he felt like he was kissing Taekwoon as well?"

Hakyeon nodded, "He had to stop me because he felt like he was intruding"

"Sounds like you've got a lot to figure out" Jaehwan sat up and Hakyeon chuckled.

"I guess so, but I'm sure I can handle it" Hakyeon smiled at the leader.

"Sunrise is soon, we need to go" Jaehwan began to get up, "I wonder if he's woken up"

Hakyeon followed him out of the tree, "Do you want me or Hongbin to check first?"

Jaehwan shook his head, "Hongbin probably hasn't left his side, but if I start distancing myself again, he'll just resent me no matter what"