Chapter Twenty-Four

The night had passed and Rona had barely slept a wink, despite how tired she was from her travels. She couldn't stop thinking about last night and what had happened between herself and Hvitserk. Why did he kiss her? But more importantly, why did he leave so suddenly after?

This was the first time Rona had ever had the chance to think of such things. She was normally thinking of less trivial things: what she had to do on the farm, did she have to train that day, did she have to go and help Bjorn with his travel plans etc. She never had the time to think of more emotional matters.

Rona was going to meet Ubbe as she had promised him she would go and see him once she had returned from her journey with Bjorn. The pair planned to walk around the markets together for a while and catch up with each other as well as check out some fo the forces that were coming to Kattegat to help avenge Ragnar.

The young shieldmaiden was waiting by some stalls when she felt a pair of hands slam onto her shoulders.

"Boo!" Rona whipped round and shoved the person off of her. Suddenly realising that her 'oppressor' was Ubbe, Rona calmed herself.

"You've gotten stronger since your journey with Bjorn." Ubbe chuckled, playfully punching Rona's arm. He dusted himself off and went to his friend. Rona pushed him away.

"Don't scare me like that!" Ubbe laughed again.

"It's only a bit of fun," Ubbe replied, keeping his arms open, waiting for a hug from his friend. Rona sighed and gave in, hugging Ubbe. "I missed you."

"You're still annoying as ever, I see." Rona stated.

"Of course I am." Ubbe replied. Rona chuckled. Ubbe and Rona separated.

"I wanted to talk to you about something." Rona said. Ubbe smiled politely.

"What is it?" Ubbe asked.

"I hope that my being an ally to Lagertha isn't going to affect our friendship." Rona explained. Ubbe nodded and smiled, almost sadly.

"I hope it won't. I'd like to think our friendship won't be affected and my brothers will feel the same, no doubt."

"Except Ivar." Rona remarked. Ubbe shook his head.

"Ivar dislikes Lagertha, this is true. But you still mean a great deal to him." Ubbe explained

"I hope so. I didn't even know he was still alive after his trip to England until I saw him try and attack Lagertha. I haven't spoken a word to him since I got back." Rona replied.

"That must have been a fun welcome home," Ubbe joked. Rona smirked. "Shall we go?" Ubbe asked, Rona nodded and the pair began their walk around the market.

***

After while of wandering around the market, Rona and Ubbe headed more towards the docks to check out the outside forces coming to help avenge Ragnar. Ubbe noticed that Rona seemed a little bit out of sorts. She wasn't being as humorous as she normally would be with him.

"What is on your mind, my friend?" Ubbe asked. Rona smirked. Ubbe always had been the more observant one out of his brothers.

"A lot of things." Rona replied.

"Such as?" Ubbe nudged Rona with his elbow, she smiled in response then let out a sigh.

"Hvitserk is painfully confusing." Ubbe chuckled at Rona's comment.

"What has he done now?" Ubbe asked.

Rona was about to reply when something caught her eye. It was Hvitserk, behind one of the nearby stalls...with Margrethe.