Chapter Thirty-One

Rona had wasted no time in getting as far away from Hvitserk as possible. She practically ran to the mount, where the fleet were gathering for the speeches. 

Rona found Bjorn towards the front of the crowd. He smiled at Rona when she came over. 

"Did you manage to rest at all?" Bjorn asked. Rona shook her head.

"Hvitserk wouldn't let me." Rona answered. Bjorn sighed.

"What did he say to you?" Bjorn asked. Rona shook her head, not really wanting to divulge what Hvitserk had said.

"Nothing important. I just want to focus on the mission, but he is making things difficult." Rona explained. 

"Shall I have a talk with him?" Bjorn asked. Rona shook her head.

"No. I can handle it, thank you." 

"Okay." Bjorn said, patting Rona on the back before making his way up a nearby slope to address the fleet. Harald and Halfdan were already there.

Rona went to follow Bjorn as she would be speaking as well. But as soon as Rona set foot on the mount, Harald looked down at the young shieldmaiden and laughed!

"Why are you up here? Are you speaking too?" Harald asked in a sarcastic and mocking tone. Halfdan laughed at his brother's comment. 

Bjorn saw the interaction out of the corner of his eye. He knew that Rona would not appreciate it if he stepped in. She needed to prove that she could stand up for herself. And that she did.

Rona smiled in-genuinely at the brothers.

"I am speaking actually, so listen to what I say, you may actually learn something." Halfdan had to stop himself from laughing. Rona smiled again at the pair before going to stand next to Bjorn on top of the mount. 

Harald was left speechless. Some girl had spoken back to him!? Halfdan couldn't hold back his laughter anymore and was now laughing at his brother's embarrassment.

"She sure put you in your place, huh brother?" Halfdan joked, slapping Harald on the back.

"Shut up!" Harald said, raising his voice and earning a few stares from the people nearby. Harald composed himself before speaking again. "That...girl is dangerous. She has skill, intelligence and she somehow wields such power over the Ragnarssons." Harald said, dumbfounded.

"To be fair to her, brother, she is a woman...and the Ragnarssons are no stranger to the company of a beautiful young woman like her." Halfdan replied. Harald shook his head

"No. Not that kind of power. I mean...they seem to actually listen to and respect her, like they would a man or a woman of much more powerful status. She's practically a child, she's even younger than Prince Ivar. Why is she Bjorn's Second-In-Command? One of the most powerful men in the world? Why wouldn't he choose one of his brothers?" Harald said, becoming more irritated. Halfdan shrugged.

"You know as well as I do." Halfdan went to join Bjorn and Rona on the mount. Harald took a few moments to himself before following his younger brother.

Rona and Bjorn stood together while Harald and Halfdan stood together. Ubbe, Ivar and Sigurd were stood at the front of the crowd and Floki, Helga and Tanaruz were not far from them. 

Rona looked over the crowd, taking it all in. She had to do well on this speech. She needed to motivate the crew to fight for their cause. They were already seeming rather cranky with their portion sizes becoming smaller.