Chapter Nine

TW// This chapter includes descriptions of killing animals and quite a bit of blood and gore and such. 

***

The whole courtyard outside the great hall was filled with torches. There was a wooden stage in the centre of the courtyard where the sacrifice would be taking place. All of the Ragnarssons (excluding Ivar) and Rona stood together along with Torvi and Guthrum to watch the ritual. 

A goat was being led by its horns towards the stage, followed by one of the town's priests. Aslaug was waiting on the stage, dressed in a white ceremonial dress and head dress. Her face was painted red and black. This was traditional dress for sacrificial ceremonies. Aslaug held a curved sword in her hand, ready to perform the ritual. 

The crowd was chanting as the ritual proceeded. The goat was brought to the stage and was being held down. Aslaug slit the goats throat and the blood started dripping into a large bowl and then it started to flow through the channels that had been put in place so everyone could get to the blood to wipe on their face. This was a good luck ritual which would happen when sacrifices took place.

One of the priests made his way around the crowd, splatting the people's faces with blood. Some of the townsmen had gone to the docks to splatter some of Bjorn's boats with the blood for good luck. 

All the Ragnarssons (again excluding Ivar), Rona, Torvi and Guthrum all lined up together at the edge of the courtyard as Aslaug splatted everyone on the forehead with the blood. Starting with Bjorn and proceeding with Guthrum, Torvi, Ubbe, Hvitserk, Sigurd and Rona. After this, Aslaug returns to the stage in the middle of the courtyard.

Rona was in conversation with Torvi when Ubbe approached Rona. 

"Myself, Hvitserk and Sigurd are going to go sit by the fjord for a bit. Would you like to join us?" Ubbe asked his friend. Rona nodded.

"Sure. But I must say goodnight to Lagertha first. I'll meet you there." Rona explained. Ubbe nodded. 

Ubbe, Sigurd and Hvitserk left the courtyard, leaving Rona with Bjorn, Torvi and Guthrum. Rona said her goodbyes to the young family and made her way towards the centre of the courtyard to search for Lagertha.

Some of the crowd form the ceremony still remained. Aslaug was kneeled down on the stage. She was in some sort of trance, which was relatively normal after a sacrificial ritual. Rona was stood behind one one of the market stalls that had been left out when she saw Lagertha bending down towards Aslaug. She looked angry. Rona didn't want to get in Lagertha's way, especially since she seemed to be in a foul mood. So she waited until Largertha had left Aslaug before approaching her friend.

"Lagertha," Rona called out. Lagertha turned around. Her face softened as soon as she saw the young girl. "What was that all about with Aslaug?" Rona asked. Lagertha gave Rona a weary smile.

"I was simply telling her the truth. How I could not forgive her for taking away my world. Ragnar, my home, everything. I also explained to her how she could never really be queen in Kattegat." Lagertha sighed. Rona was shocked. She was shocked at Lagertha's honesty. Lagertha would normally try to brush Rona off if she ever asked any hard hitting questions. 

It seemed that after a few seconds Lagertha had realised what she had said and she covered her mouth. It seems that she was shocked at her own honesty.