Chapter Twelve

It did not take long for both the Frankish and Norse fleets to reach the docks of Frankia. As each of Bjorn's fleet docked and alighted their boats, a group of Frankish guards were waiting on shore to guard them into the castle.

Bjorn lead the group of northmen, followed by Rona and Hvitserk, then by Floki and Helga and then by Harold and Halfdan and the rest of Bjorn's crewmen and women walked further behind.

Rona could hear the bells tolling in the distance, probably coming from nearby church somewhere. Her footsteps echoed on the hard stone floors as she followed Bjorn down the corridor towards the throne room. Rona was not used to being in such large buildings. In Kattegat, the biggest building they had was the great hall and that was not nearly as big as this castle.

The corridor was covered with guards. Rona could make out two thrones which were at the top of a few steps by some windows. She saw a woman sat on one of the thrones with a child in her lap and two other children stood by her. Then Rona saw Rollo. Rona had to use all of her self control not to run right up to him and rip his throat out. Rona's eyes narrowed and her angry expression was evident. Hvitserk nudged Rona's arm and leaned in to whisper in her ear as they continued to walk.

"Calm down. You cannot show him that you are angry at him. He will just take advantage of that and try to get a reaction out of you." Hvitserk explained. Rona did not respond to Hvitserk but still tried to calm herself down and managed to embody a more neutral expression.

The group eventually made it to the throne room and Floki walked forward (now walking beside Rona and Hvitserk) to speak to Bjorn.

"See how well treachery pays off Bjorn?" Floki said, referring to how Rollo seemed to be benefiting off of his betrayal to Ragnar. Bjorn rolled his eyes.

"Don't do anything stupid, Floki." Bjorn replied. Almost as soon as Bjorn had stopped speaking, two guards crossed their spears right in front of Bjorn, nearly hitting him.

"I've never done anything stupid in my life but I am contemplating whether dying would be better than dealing with this scum." Floki explained. Rona smirked slightly. She and Floki were actually on the same page for once.

Rollo began speaking in Frankish. Again, Rona could not understand a word. But she did hear Rollo say Bjorn, Floki, Helga and Hvitserk's names before moving his eyes towards Rona and saying her name. He then continued speaking as he stepped down form his throne and towards Bjorn. Rollo gestured for the guards to retract their spears. They did so. Bjorn stepped forward towards Rollo.

"I don't want to apologise," Rollo began, now speaking Norse. Rona scoffed. "What would be the point? We are where we are," This time Floki scoffed. Rollo continued. "The Gods have spoken." Rollo finished. Bjorn just stared his uncle down. Rollo continued speaking.

"This is my wife, Princess Gisla," Rollo said, gesturing towards the woman who was sat on one of the thrones. She stood up. "And these are our children, William, Marcellus and Celsa." Gisla and the children all held hands and walked down the few steps from Gisla's throne. Floki's eye widened and William poked his tongue out at Floki. Rona noticed Hvitserk smirking. She rolled her eyes.

Gisla ushered her children towards an older woman, presumably a nanny, who took the children out of the room before Gisla began speaking. She spoke in Frankish. Rollo translated for her. She was delivering the upmost of death stares at all of the northman fleet. Gisla caught Rona's eye and Rona surprised Gisla by giving her a death stare right back.

"My wife wants to know why you are here. So do I." Rollo explained.

Bjorn nodded and reached into his boot for his map. Rollo's guards picked up their spears, ready to cut Bjorn in half at any given moment. Bjorn paused as did Floki and Rona. Floki and Rona both placed their hands on their swords, ready to draw. Rollo gestured for the guards to remain at ease. They obeyed his command. Floki removed his hand from his sword. Rona did not. Hvitserk noticed this and slapped her hand away. Rona huffed.