0.6

Katerina wakes up coughing and wheezing.

"What did you do, Katerina?" Trevor questions her, clearly upset, "I would have helped you live."

"You would have helped me run," she stares at him, rubbing her head, "It was never going to be enough."

"It was enough for me." He spits.

Rose walks in, anger and disgust radiating off of her. "Oh, don't you see, Trevor? She used you to help her escape and me to turn her. Klaus will see our role in this."

"And for that, I'm sorry." Katerina tells her.

"As am I," Rose pauses, "For this." She speeds towards her with a stake, yet, at the last second, Katerina pulls the elderly woman in front of her, allowing her to be staked instead. Rose gasps out in shock, as she realizes what she has done. Katerina drinks the blood coming from the older woman, completing her transition. Katerina looks up at them, blood covering her face.

"Please understand." She tells them.

"You have just signed out death sentence." Rose replies, shocked.

Katerina pauses for a moment. "Better you die than I." She then shoves the elder woman towards them, vamp speeding out of the cabin.

Flashback over
--

"Rose and Trevor spent that last 500 years running because you used them," Elena tells her, clearly upset, "Trevor just got killed."

"Never thought he would have lasted that long." Katerina replies with a shrug.

"You don't even care that you ruined their lives."

Katerina's eyes widen. "I was looking out for myself, Elena. I will always look out for myself. If you're smart, you'll do the same." Katerina turns her back to us, reading her family journal that Elena had brought. Not pleased with the lies and manipulation I was hearing, I turn towards Elena.

"Alright doppelganger, I've heard quite enough. Come on, let's get out of here." I walk towards her, taking a hold of her arm. She shakes me off, glaring, walking closer to Katerina.

"So how much of your little story is true?" She questions her.

I roll my eyes, "Elena, give it up. She's not worth it." I walk up to her again. Elena stops me by holding up her hand between us.

"I have no reason to lie, Elena." Katerina says, annoyed, "I have no reason to do anything but to sit here and read and rot."

"Okay, assuming it's even partially true, that's the reason why you came back, isn't it? Because you wanted to be the one to hand me over to Klaus."

Katerina slams her book closed, grunting as she stands up. "500 years on the run, I figured maybe he'd be willing to strike a deal."

"So you got Mason Lockwood to find you the moonstone."

Katerina nods her head. "Right again."

"What else is need to break the curse?" Elena questions, cautiously.

"Mmmm, look who's getting smarter." Katerina smirks.

"It's not just me. Or the moonstone, is it? Otherwise there would be no reason to trigger Tyler Lockwoods werewolf curse."

"Witches and their spells. So many ingredients, so many people to sacrifice." Katerina shakes her head.

"So you need a warewolf." Elena concludes. I watch carefully, at the doppelganger's exchange.

"Believe it or not, they're hard to come by." Katerina tells her, jokingly.

"What else?"

"A witch to do the spell," she answers quickly, "Mine bailed but, little Bonnie will do just fine."

"What else?" Elena's voice growing stronger and more assertive.

"A vampire."

Elena pauses, breathing out. "Caroline."

"Could have been anyone, I suppose. But I like the poetry of Caroline."

"So you were gonna just to hand us all over to be killed?"

There is a long pause, as Katerina stares at her. "Better you die than I." Elena looks terrified, as she begins pacing.

"Okay Elena, we're leaving. Now." I tell her forcefully, grabbing her arm, and pulling her towards the exit. We bump right into Stefan.

"Elena," he says worriedly, grabbing her hands. I let go of her arm as he comes up to her. He then looks towards me. "How could you take her here?" He questions, angrily.

"Oh, give it up, Stefan," I roll my eyes, "We all know when Elena wants something, she gets it."

Elena glares at me, as Stefan shakes his head. "I thought you were protecting her."

"I'm here, aren't I?" I tell him. He falls silent, not knowing what to say. Elena interups the silence.

"Stefan, what are you doing here?" She questions him.

"I could ask you the same question."

"Caroline told you." She says, disappointed.

"No, she kept your secret. But, it didn't take long for me to figure out what was so important that you'd have to keep it from me."

"I knew that you'd stop me." Elena says defensively.

"Listen to me," he tells her, brushing off her accusation, "Whatever she said to you is a lie. Do not listen to her. She is a liar, Elena."

"What if she isn't?" Elena argues, "You didn't hear what she said."

"You don't have to worry," he tells her, "I'm not going to let anything happen to you."

"That's the problem. You won't. But you'll die trying, how is that any better?"

"There's nothing you can do, Stefan," Katerina interrupts, "I haven't even told you the best part of the story."

"No, Katerina." I glare at her, harshly. I can't have her say anything that will make the doppelganger run or do anything stupid.

She glares back. "You're not on my worry list right now, Emiliana. I know you won't come in here, because no vampire can exit." She turns and looks towards Elena. "He killed them. My entire family. Just to get back at me for running. Whatever you do to escape Klaus, he will get his vengeance. On your friends, your family, on anyone that you've ever loved."

I grow angrier, as Elena grows more fearful. "I suggest you keep your mouth shut from now on, darling." My voice coming out like vemon.

"No, look at me," Stefan says to Elena, pulling her close, "No. Do not listen to her, okay?" Elena shakily nods her head.

"Always the protector," Katerina laughs, "But even you must realize that she's doomed. There's nothing you can do to stop it. Unless of course, you have this." Katerina holds up the moonstone.

I vamp speed as close I can to the barrier without entering. "Give it." I demand. Katerina only stares back at me, "And maybe, just maybe, I'll reconsider your fate."

"What," Elena breathes out shocked.

"Oh no, there it is," Stefan accuses, "that's the ultimate lie, isn't it? You spun this whole thing so that we would have to get the stone from you, didn't you?"

"I didn't spin anything, Stefan, it's the truth."

Stefan looks at me, silently asking me if it is in fact true. I look away from him, not answering. He takes my silence as a yes, as he starts to panic.

"No, let me guess. You want to trade that stone for your freedom, hmm? You manipulative, phychotic bitch."

"My freedom?" She scoffs, "That's where you're wrong, Stefan. I don't want my freedom. Because when Klaus shows up to kill us all, and he will. I'll be in the tomb. Where no vampire will enter because they can't get out. I'll be the safest psychotic bitch in town."

--