Chapter Forty-four

Start from the beginning

"Silas!" Beth roared. "You despicable man! You spawn of the devil!"

"Your brother, you mean."

"There is no strife," I whispered. "I am leaving."

"Yes, that is the plan."

"No!" Eugene looked at me. "Shuyan! Forget about the promise!"

I turned and began to walk, but a hand grabbed mine. I turned to see Augustin, frowning in a way I had never.

"Miss Shuyan! Please, won't you stay?"

Valentin followed behind, but I shook my head.

"Mister Silas will take never allow Master Eugene to be heir if I do not leave," I said. My voice came out strange. "My goal—no, our goal, has been achieved."

He slowly released my hand.

"I'll give up my place for heir!"

Eugene limped towards me, struggling with his walking stick, then tossed it down to grab my hand. The cane fell with a clammer and I pulled myself away.

"I don't want that!"

He reached out again, but I shrunk back from his touch.

Pain went over his face as I avoided his touch.

"You don't understand, Master Eugene." I looked at the faces of everyone in the room. "Didn't you see how the room light up when you were announced the heir? Didn't you hear their wishes and hopes of the the house of Beardsley being changed?"

Eugene shook his head slowly. "I know—I know, but—"

"Didn't you hear the letter?" I interrupted. "Didn't you hear the warmth in the words of Lord Adam Beardsley as he entrusted his house and title to you? The belief he had that you would not throw it all away for a mere maid?"

"You're not a mere maid!"

"I'm an awful person." I tightened my fists so my nails dug into my palm and I could find the strength to keep talking. "I had always planned on leaving you in the end, Master Eugene. This house was not suited for me, and you, too. I never believed in your naive words that we were equals."

I turned and caught Clo's eye, and she suddenly understood.

Remembered.

That night, and our talk that morning.

"No! That's not true at all!" she shouted, and shook her head frantically. "What I said that day wasn't true at all!"

"Clo?" Beth looked at her. "What do you mean?"

Clo continued to shake her head, her curls flying around before she spoke,

"You are right, Eugene is different from the other masters! I can tell today from all that he's done for you!"

"It's too late." I smiled sadly. I turned to Silas. "Is the carriage prepared?"

He smiled, despite the chaos in the room.

"Yes. Your luggage has been brought down by a footman too."

I nodded, then I left the room.

"Shuyan, don't go!" Eugene lunged forward, but Silas was there. He kicked away the cane that fell out of Eugene's hand. Eugene leaned the wall, still trying to push his way to me, but Silas held him back.

"Please!"

"Forget her! You are the heir now!"

I watched the two men struggle, their hair flying about and Eugene reaching an arm out in despondence, and I was stuck for a moment, at the doorway.