Chapter Twenty-six

After the ruckus, Tobias sent Rudy to walk me back to my room, despite the fact that I was perfectly fine. The walk was silent, and when I entered the room, all the girls were asleep.

However, I couldn't sleep. After I changed and went into my bed, I began sobbing.

It was scary. Tonight had been the scariest night of my life. For a moment, I actually believed Silas might do worse things to me. Despite the calm exterior he always wore, a storm brewed beneath it. A storm that, once released, would hurt all those around him.

It was all thanks to Rudy and Tobias, who met up and wondered about my late arrival and then heard Silas's shouts, that I was saved. If they hadn't, or even ignored Silas's shouts, or had been too afraid to come in—I didn't even want to think about the possibility.

I cried for the longest time that night, wishing Eugene was by my side.

Wishing Eugene saw my suffering and comforted me.

Wishing Eugene was the one who saved me.

***

The next morning, Rudy asked me if I was better. I had sheets gathered in my arms and was making my way to Tobias's room when he came. I nodded, hoping he didn't notice the swelling of my eyes.

"Tobias is in his room, waiting to talk to you," he said. "I hope everything goes well."

"Thank you."

Tobias was, indeed, in his room, sitting at the table we played chess in and looking out the window. He had opened the curtains, but not tied them back.

"Good morning, Master Tobias," I said. I placed the sheets down at a chair and tied the curtains back. He watched me as I did, in an awkward silence.

"I'm sorry," he finally apologized after I was on my way to make the bed.

"Please don't apologize. You've done nothing wrong."

"I said Silas wasn't violent." He turned away from me. His eyes wouldn't meet mine.

"Don't worry, it didn't hurt. Well, not that much." I wanted to kick myself for saying something so stupid. "What did you want to tell me yesterday?"

"I want to tell you that there's another lead that I want to check out this Sunday—and I want to take you with me." I frowned.

"But I'm working for Master Eugene now."

"So am I."

I stopped in the middle of tucking in the sheets.

"What?"

"I said, I'm also helping Eugene now." He looked at me, then frowned. "No, how should I phrase it—I'm also hoping Eugene becomes the heir now."

"You—didn't you want to protect him from the fight, though?"

"Do you know why Eugene has been eating breakfast with us lately?" he abruptly changed the subject.

"No. Why?"

"He's been trying to fit in with us. Asking us about what type of household we want to live in. He's quite obvious." There was a small smile on his lips. "He's also talking about planning parties. Inviting people over for a 'Christmas Ball' next month. It was an annual event we used to have, but we haven't done it ever since Father became the head—we almost forgot about it."

"That's why everyone knows he's trying to be the heir now," I whispered to myself.

"Yes," Tobias answered. "Augustin is particularly happy at Eugene's new motivation, and the children want to meet people. Silas says he will take control of the party, once again taking someone else's ideas for himself. But, you know, when I saw Eugene taking control of the household, I had a glimpse of it."