SEVEN.

JIMIN SHOULD HAVE never left Hoseok alone.

Because, when he and Namjoon return with Seokjin, Hoseok is long gone.

"He was supposed to stay asleep until we got back," Jimin mutters, staring at the empty spot on the ground. Namjoon is nursing Seokjin on an old cot that's in the corner.

"Hoseok's mind is hardest to penetrate, isn't it?" Namjoon asks, wiping blood off of Seokjin's cheek. "Not your fault."

"Why would he beat Seokjin up?" Jimin mumbles. "Hoseok's never been violent before."

"Something must've happened while he was gone," suggests Namjoon. "Wherever he went, we're gonna have to find him and get some answers."

Jimin nods, clenching his fists.

;;

IF THERE WAS a way to stop feeling other's emotions, Taehyung would have found it by now. He searched high and low for a solution but there never was one.

He realized he was an empath a few years after Jeongguk joined them. And it was because of Jeongguk that he realized his powers; it was after someone had attempted to kidnap Jeongguk that Taehyung was overwhelmed with fear that wasn't his own.

Why did he have to get the most useless abilities?

Yoongi could kill 10 people in the blink of an eye. Jimin could tap into people's brains and control them. Namjoon had healing abilities, useful for their way of life, which was cold-blooded war. Seokjin, Hoseok, and Jeongguk had no abilities that Taehyung knew of.

But why did he get stuck with feeling people's emotions?

It becomes overwhelming after a while. Everyone around you in fear and doubt and anxiety and all you can do is feel it pile up until you break down yourself. The amount of times that Taehyung broke down in tears and hysterical sobs around the other boys was uncountable.

And yet, Taehyung knows this is why he gets along with the prisoners so well.

The mute girl has been travelling with Taehyung the longest, as she's the last person he has to deliver. And Taehyung understands her, even without words.

She's fearless. Brave. Smart.

Everything Taehyung wishes he was.

Even if she dies right now, she'll have no regrets.

Taehyung doesn't feel the same way. He lives in regret. It's a constant nagging in the back of his head, never leaving him alone.

When Taehyung and the girl ended up travelling alone for a while, Taehyung called her "mini size." Now, Taehyung's just resorted to calling her Minnie.

"I have a friend," says Taehyung. "His name's Jimin, but I call him Minnie sometimes. You remind me of him."

Minnie nods, and continues walking along the path, a little bit ahead of Taehyung.

As they break through the trees, Taehyung stops, staring in surprise at the large stone wall in front of him.

"What the fuck? Since when was this here?"

They've come the wrong way. Taehyung wants to scream in frustration.

Minnie snaps to attention and tugs on his sleeve. Taehyung turns and frowns at the bushes, which move.

And then out pop two people. Taehyung knows immediately that they're Rogues, not fighting for the Resistance or for The Other Side.

And Rogues are the most dangerous.

Taehyung steps in front of Minnie protectively, arms out.

"Whatever you want," he says, making his voice as loud and stern as he can, "we don't have it."

"We want the girl," says one of the Rogues, coming closer. He has a dagger and by the tone of his voice, Taehyung can sense what they want to do with Minnie; sell her to The Other Side, and there's no way in hell that he's allowing that.

"You're not touching her, you disgusting ass-wipe."

The man tightens his grip on the dagger, and his companion holds up his fists, getting ready.

Minnie is still behind him and, for once, Taehyung can sense fear from her.

Taehyung is outnumbered and he has no weapons. Still, he growls and gets ready to fight.

If he dies protecting Minnie, he'll have no regrets.