Chapter Thirty-Six: Act Two

Status Quo was a masterpiece. Gina's choreography was beautiful, and the audience went crazy for Seb. Plus with the audience singing along, it only made the experience that much more incredible. 

I now stood off stage, preparing to watch Get 'Cha Head in the Game, which we had actually pushed to after Stick to the Status Quo to make it relate to the callbacks rather than New Years. I bit my lip, smiling as Ricky and EJ smiled at each other. I would never get tired of watching EJ on stage.

They danced, all while hooking up Ricky to the harness, and while in a random formation, EJ shot the pulley operators a thumbs up, giving them the cue to raise him up into the air.

"Why am I feeling so wrong?" Ricky sang. "My head's in the game, but my heart's in the song. She makes this feel so right. Should I go for it?" But then he stopped. He didn't say anything. I furrowed my eyebrows, glancing around the set and following his gaze to his parents, where a new man now sat with an arm around his Mom. She'd brought her boyfriend to the show. I looked back at Ricky with a hand over my mouth. He dropped the basketball, and the frozen dancers glanced around, confused. "I...I gotta shake this, yikes!" 

The music kept playing and they lowered Ricky to the ground.

"Get my, get my." Ricky didn't sing all of the words, and when he tried to dribble the basketball, he accidentally kneed it, sending it bouncing into an audience member. He then walked off stage just before the song ended. I had to admit, it did kind of look like it was supposed to happen that way, so that was a plus. I ran around the other side of the stage, meeting Ricky.

"Ricky..." I started.

"Ricky? What happened at the end?" Carlos interrupted.

"Its a long story."

"Are you ok?" Seb asked. Ricky glanced at me.

"Did you see it?" He asked. I nodded. "I can't believe she...has anyone seen Nini? I could really use a pep talk right now. My Mom's new boyfriend decided to show up, and I wanna punch a wall. I feel like I'll need a miracle to face Act Two."

"Nini's in a quick change booth right now. She seems a little nervous." Carlos reported.

"Wait, why? What happened?"

"Uh...I thought I was doing a good thing, but I think it backfired." Kourtney spoke up. "You see that lady with the clipboard out there." We followed her finger to the lady in question. "That's the dean from the performing arts school she was looking at."

"You invited her?" Ricky asked.

"Ricky, you look like you're shaking. Do you need to sit down?"

"Actually I do."

"Ricky, lets just go somewhere and-" I started.

"No, Megan, no, I'm fine. I...I know what I need to do. Thank you, though." I nodded as he walked past us, going back stage. We all shared a worried look.

~~~

I walked into the dressing room to find everyone scurrying to get ready for the second act.

"Kourtney, are you sure I have to wear this jacket? It feels like it might rip." Seb said.

"You're great, don't worry!" Kourtney told him, whirling around, to keep fixing makeup.

"Guys? Guys, has anyone seen my glasses?" Ashlyn asked.

"On your head, honey." I said, pulling them back down onto her face.

"Places for Act 2 everyone!" Natalie shouted. "Troy, you're on." I glanced over, spotting jersey number fourteen only now...it wasn't Ricky who was wearing it. My eyes widened as EJ stood up, now wearing Ricky's jersey.