Chapter Six: We're All In This Together

After measurements were all taken care of, we were sent down to the basement, where the majority of sets were kept, for the read through portion. There was a circle of desks, each with a name tag on it. I found the one that said 'Kelsey Neilson', which was placed in between EJ and the Stage Manager. Why they put Kelsey beside Chad, I have no idea, but hey, I'm not complaining.

I watched as EJ went to switch his and Ricky's name tags, only to switch them back after receiving a look from Ashlyn and sitting down spitefully beside me.

"Could everyone take their assigned seats please?" Miss Jenn called. I turned around, looking at Miss Jenn to see Carlos show her his phone. "Who is Natalie Bagley and why do I care if her glands are swelling?"

"Our stage manager. I guess she's not coming." Carlos answered. I whirled around in my seat.

"I can read the stage directions. I've been the stage manager every other year." I offered.

"I appreciate the offer sweetie, but you're an actress now, we need you focused on your part, really understanding your character." EJ furrowed his eyebrows at me and I shrugged. "Yoohoo, Ginger boy." My eyes widened as she walked over to Ricky and Big Red, "Can you read?"

"Uh, not really." Big Red answered.

"Well you're reading now. Just the stage directions. Thank you." She walked past them to her seat and Ricky chuckled. "Excuse me." Ricky sat down and Big Red turned to the Janitor who was getting his stuff to clean the school.

"Do you know what that means?" He asked. The janitor shrugged. I stood up, walking over to him.

"Here, look." I opened my script and he looked over my shoulder. "This part, in parentheses. Those are the stage directions, the movements that the characters are supposed to be making. You'll read those."

"Oh...ok. Thanks." I nodded.

"No problem. Let me know if you have any questions." He nodded and I sat back down in my seat again.

"Don't forget to silence your phones!" Miss Jenn announced as Big Red sat down beside me. "I realize that you all walked in here as strangers."

"Actually, EJ's my cousin." Ashlyn said. Everyone looked at her, including Miss Jenn, who said nothing.

"But after today, you're a family. One tribe, committed to lifting this classic film to new heights." She paused again, glancing at Carlos as he took a selfie with his Choreographer name tag. He looked over, seeing her watching him and then put his phone and name tag down."Please take your neighbors hands." My eyes widened and I glanced over at EJ. "Hand," She prompted Big Red, who took her hand as well as mine.

"Hand." She told Nini and Gina, who begrudgingly held hands. Now it was only EJ, Ricky, and I who weren't holding hands. "Hands." EJ and Ricky both stared off into space uncomfortably as they grabbed each other's hands. He held his other hand out to me and I swallowed my anxiety as I took it. His hands were soft, and warm, and basically swallowed mine with how much larger it was. I looked down at my lap, trying to will myself not to blush.

"Feel each other's energy. Let the silence speak volumes. IN a world full of no, this is a space full of yes."

"Nice," Carlos whispered, "Did you just come up with that?"

"I did." I glanced over at Ricky, who was staring at Nini with her hand in his. She ignored him, looking past him to EJ, who she shot a reassuring smile. Ricky looked at him now and the two shared a distasteful look.

"That doesn't look like very positive energy." I whispered. EJ looked at me and I felt the shock sink in that I had actually said that. It was dissipated however, as EJ chuckled, and surprisingly looked grateful for the distraction from holding his girlfriend's ex-boyfriend's hand.