Chapter Eight

~Kim's POV~

"We had him right there and we didn't notice!" I shouted, pacing around my room in my dress.

Jack was on my bed with his head in his hands. He was in his suit.

"He was right there, carrying her. I suspected it too. Why didn't I say anything?"

We had just gotten back from Jerry's funeral. A police officer came to the burial and told us about the detective being Mark.

"They could be anywhere." I said.

The nurse called the police at her desk and described Mark. She decided she'd follow them so the police would know where they were. The phone operator advised against it, but she disobeyed. They say there was shouting. An hour later, they found her body. She was stabbed to death.

"Where do you think he's going? He can't go back to the maze. It's crawling with police officers and detectives." I asked.

"I don't know." Jack said.

"Well, at least her brother is safe and sound in the orphanage. A couple of police officers are there to protect him."

"I can't believe this happened. Why did Jerry have to make the bet?" I heard Jack's voice crack.

I turned to him and saw what I saw earlier that morning. He was in tears. I rushed over to him, sat next to him and wrapped my arms around him. He rested against my chest as he cried. It pained me to see him like this so I cried with him.

"If we didn't go, th-they wouldn't be dead." Jack whispered.

I let my fingers run through his long brunette hair. I whispered sweet nothings into his ears. It didn't help that much, considering I was crying with him.

He was the closest to Jerry. They've been through a lot more stuff than Jack and I've been through. They were like those inseparable best friends. One moment he was alive, terrified, but at least alive. The next...he didn't deserve a death like that. Jack and I are crushed.

Milton's funeral is two weeks. I'll be the one crying the most at that one, other than his family. Milton was the closest to me, other than Jack. We had our share of adventures. We were suppposed to go to comic con after the maze. We had VIP tickets to a Star Wars thing. I miss my little nerd.

Jack and I stayed on my bed crying for countless hours. We fell asleep.

*****

I woke up to the sound of pots and pans crashing to the ground. I felt an arm wrap around my waist protectively. I turn to see Jack in the darkness. The moonlight allowed me to see one side of his face.

"It's probably my mom, don't worry." I said, sleepy.

"Your mom, really? It's 2:45 am." Jack said, looking at my clock.

I looked up at Jack with fear in my eyes and then I turned to my closed door.

"You're right. My mom and dad went to my grandparents' house last night for an annual check up. They sleep over there. So, they're both not in the house." I whispered.

I feel tears in my eyes, scared to death of what might happen next. Jack slowly got up and walked to the door. He locked the door. It made the clicking sound. It sounded louder than usual at the suspenseful moment.

My heart began to beat faster as I heard the creeking sound of the stairs. Footsteps are getting louder and louder. I look over to my counter for my phone. It wasn't there.

"They were in here before. I know I had my phone because I called the real detective working the case after the funeral."

Jack stepped back from the door and got in fighting stance. I just sat helpless waiting on the bed because I knew that I couldn't fight in a dress.

The door knob jiggled. Someone was trying to get in. Then there was slamming. The person on the other side gave up, breathing heavily.

"Oh, April nice try, but now it's a month of punishment."

My eyes widened as I heard Mark's voice. I'm sure Jack's had the same reaction.

"Please." April's voice whispered.

The door knob jiggled again. More footsteps came up the stair. The door knob jiggled faster. Jack looked down at the door knob. It was up to him.

"Jack please make the right choice."