Chapter Four

A tall man stepped out. It was a creepy clown with the costume, the red afro and nose, the creepy smile painted on and everything.

He had one hand still in the corn. He tugged on something and they heard screaming. He tugged again and Kim stepped out crying as her hair was pulled by the clown.

Jack was about to go for him but April pulled him back. He turned to her confused.

"Jack. The knife." She whispered.

He turned around and saw a knife held up to Kim's neck. She stared up at them with pleading eyes. Jack wanted to do something, everyone wanted to do something but they knew if they even flinched Kim's dead.

"I only want one thing." The guy spoke in a deep voice, different from the one they heard before.

"The other guy was actually an officer. We could have gotten out. We missed our chance." Jack thought.

"You could have gotten out alive but you were too scared." The clown snickered.

"What do you want?" Jack asked

"Just want my girl back." He shrugged. Jack and Milton looked at him confused. He gasped dramatically. "April you haven't told them about me! Your own lover."

Jack and Milton turned to April.

"What is he talking about?" Milton asked.

"I...he..." She couldn't form a sentence.

"Oh it's alright I'll explain for you. You see, April here lied to you about the story. Well half lied. She's been here for months with me and her brother. She found this place when she needed a home for her and her brother. The maze wasn't opened yet so she figured it was abandoned until October. She didn't know I still lurk around here. When I found them I promised to keep them safe. And let's just say we grew closer throughout the months."

"Safe?! You call this safe! You murder inoccent people, Mark! Every time I try to get help you kill them! You killed my brother! And what do you mean closer?! You threatened to kill me if I didn't..." April stopped drifting into thought with tears in her eyes.

"Oh no I didn't. You know my twisted game April. Your brother actually loves to scare you."

Suddenly a boy stepped out of the stock. He was actually how April described him. April ran up to him hugged him tight.

"Don't scare me like that." She whispered.

He laughed. "Mark's right. It's funny to scare people."

April pulled away and turned to Jack and Milton then to Mark.

"Great job April you've got them to me. You survive tonight but for trying to escape again you get punishment."

April looked down and swallowed nervously as she thought about her other punishments. Kim, Jack, and Milton looked at her surprised.

"Did she set us up?" The warriors thought.

"Please let them go. They're nice people...I'll even take a two day punishment." April whispered.

Mark let go of Kim and she immediately ran into Jack's arms. Mark grabbed April by the hair so she was looking at him. He lifted the knife from her neck to her chest.

"This is your tenth time trying to escape. For all I know you'll get a week of punishment."

April looked at him scared to death. Mark just smirked then turned to the warriors.

"You know what? I love the chase I'll give you a head start while I think of a punishment for April. You've got five minutes to run." Mark declared.

The warriors ran. They all had a regret again.

"We just left April with a psychopath, who has most likely been torturing her." Kim stated sadly.

"I didn't see that coming. To think I thought she was evil." Jack thought.

They suddenly heard screams and cries from the direction they came from. The three of them all frown.

"Mark please! Don't!"

Then there was a cold, eery silence in the air. They kept running trying their best to ignore the fact that the silence came too quickly after the screams.

"Something's wrong. Screams like that don't just end abruptly like that. Unless he killed her." Milton thought.

"Her punishment is death." Milton whispered.

Milton stopped running making Jack and Kim stop and turn to him.

"Milton come on he could be catching up." Kim said.

"We told her that she has us, but we ran away like cowards. We stayed behind to save her before why didn't we do it again? Just because of some guy with a knife."

"Milton he's a serial killer with a knife. There's a difference. And he had Kim." Jack explained.

"We could have saved her and you know that! We know karate and Jack you could have easily kicked the knife out his hand when Kim got out the way."

"Don't you think I thought of that?! He grabbed April and put the knife to her neck. Milton we couldn't have done anything."

"She's dead now!" Milton screamed at Jack.

"Oh she's not dead, but I will torture her with regret." Mark stalked toward them with April by held his side. She was looking down and had her hand back. "You want to know how?"

They all slowly shook their heads.

April looked up at them with blood shot eyes. She slowly took her hands from behind her back. She had a knife.

"Kill them."

April mouthed at them. 'I'm sorry.'

She ran for them.