046: from the ashes

forty six

forty six . . . from the ashes
( march 21, 2150 — polis )

          "I KNOW IT took courage to be outside with us today, to stand together now in the face of grave danger and grave tragedy

"I KNOW IT took courage to be outside with us today, to stand together now in the face of grave danger and grave tragedy. On the Ark, rain like this was only a dream. Now it's a nightmare, because we know it could turn at any second and kill us, just like it did to eighteen of our brothers and sisters, who we honor today. Among them, Erin, Samuel, and Louis. May we meet again."

"May we meet again." Everyone that had gathered rehearsed back to Jaha as he lit the flames that would cremate those that died at the hands of the black rain. Each body lay anonymously underneath a white sheet, each member of Skaikru bowing their heads as they respectfully turned to ash.

Cullen sighed to herself as she walked over to the funeral, scoping out where Monty and Harper stood and joining them by Monty's side. They were looking on at the cremation, silently paying their respects to the dead as the flames flickered against the light rain that dusted the Earth, wetting its soils and replenishing it from the damage it had been through on the previous day. Cullen thought about Louis, Mark, and Peter, and how neither of the three men deserved to die yesterday. They were good, hardworking members of Skaikru, who offered their services in order to help their people survive — people like that weren't supposed to die. The good people were supposed to stay alive.

Past the flames of the fire Jaha caught Cullen's eye, and raised his eyebrows in indication he wished to speak with her. Finding it peculiar, Cullen smiled softly to Monty and Harper before moving around the cremation, and stopping when she landed next to Jaha.

For a moment, they stood in silence, both of them watching as the bodies melted away. It took time for Jaha to finally say, "How were you able to survive the black rain?"

It was the question she had dreaded. The people of Arkadia were suspicious of her immunity to the rain, and while none of them had asked questions, she noticed their stares. Heard their whispers. "It doesn't matter." She answered, and turned to look up to Jaha. "I just wanted to help save our people."