Strides & Bike Rides

Start from the beginning

"Says the girl who thought I was 'spoon-fed'." He smirks while getting on the ride. He puts his feet on the pedals while he gazes over at me.

"Come on, I'll show you what riding on a bike feels like."

I glance down at the plaid skirt I am wearing, a skeptical expression on my face. My attire isn't any at all suitable for riding a bike.

Uniform rules suck.

Ansel tracks my point of focus, realization dawning on his features. "Oh right, you're wearing a skirt." He tugs at his ear while he ponders.

"You know, you can just hold on to it. It'll be okay." He finally asserts.

I hesitate, shifting from one foot to the next, and it makes him laugh.

"I won't look at your legs, Rainey."

I shake my head, my face flushed. "That's not it..."

I am not the nervous type. I don't get why Ansel makes me feel this way.

I move over to him and he tries to hide a smile, his palms resting on his thighs while he waits for me to get on. The issue is, I have no idea where to sit. I have never saddled with someone on a bicycle before, so this is all new to me.

"Um, where do I sit?"

He points to the top tube. "You can sit here, then you'd be between my arms and have a lesser chance of falling off." His lips form a smile.

I grip the hem of my skirt before sitting on top of the top tube, so my feet hang over sideways. He splays his knees to give me room.

"You okay?"

I nod. "Yeah."

He leans forward, his chest in close distance to my face as he grips his handlebars. His intoxicating scent invades my sense of smell.

He could be bottled up for sale in an expensive perfume store.

"Hold on tight."

My mind is too focused on our proximity and how warm being close to his torso feels to heed his warning. So, when the bike suddenly moves off, it catches me off-guard and my palms reflexively comes up to grip the sides of his shirt.

He chuckles lightly, and my face tinges pink while I pull my arms back in embarrassment.

"Sorry..."

"It's okay...put your hands back there." He says. "If it makes you feel better."

I decide against it, shifting so I am able to place my hands beside his on the handlebar instead.

Hopefully this way, my cheeks will stop firing up.

The cool evening air slaps my face as he paddles down the street. Something about the setting sun and being close to Ansel offers this comforting feeling. Secretly, I don't want it to end.

The ride is so cozy that I have no idea when he pulled up at the entrance to my gates.

It marvels me how he recalls my address by just coming here once. He sure has a good memory.