Chapter Two: Shitty Parties and Shitty Boyfriends

Cassie sat at one of the booths in the coffee shop, waiting on him. His blond hair was a tangled mess, and his dark brown eyes met hers immediately.

She knew what she was doing, and she knew it was wrong, but she couldn't resist. Anymore, she had no self-control, and destroying her life seemed to be the only thing she could control.

In the bathroom, Gabe Sanders trailed his fingers up and down Cassie's waist,  kissing her neck. 

Cassie was a homewrecker, but she didn't care. She couldn't even bring herself to care about the fact that she was literally murdering people for personal gain.

***

After his classes on Friday, Lucian walked back to his room, dreading the fact that he agreed to go to the stupid party. He was afraid to see people from a new point of view that didn't involve watching them out the window to laugh at them; he hated interacting with strangers because he never knew the right things to say. Lucian stared at himself, tracing his finger along his scar, anxious that someone would mention it or ask how he received the damned thing.

Before changing into a different outfit, Lucian chose to smoke a cigarette first. He pulled his chair to his window where he lit one. Although he only meant to smoke one, he ended up chain-smoking three due to the anxiety that was threatening to overtake his mind and body. After his so-called cigarette break, he took a shower, brushed his teeth, put his glasses back on and sifted through his closet and his dresser looking for something to wear. He settled on a green Fleetwood Mac t-shirt and a faded pair of blue-jeans.

As he pulled on one of his boots, Judy Blue was knocking at his door. He pushed his round glasses up the bridge of his nose and swung his door open wearing only one shoe. She stood there with Mel.

Judy wore red corduroy dress. Meanwhile, Mel was wearing a pair of dangly cherry earrings, a pink Care Bears shirt, and acid-washed skinny jeans. The two girls walked into his bedroom without so much as an invitation inside.

Lucian pulled on his left boot and tied his yellow laces.

Judy inspected his bedroom, staring at the yellow walls and the Pink Floyd poster. She ran her finger along the spines of Lucian's books, pulling his copy of Frankenstein from its designated spot with the Gothic literature. "Have you actually read any of these?" she asked, holding the book up.

"I've read every book on that shelf," he said matter-of-factly. "Frankenstein is definitely not my favorite."

"Frankenstein isn't my favorite either. I couldn't even finish it."

"Yeah," Lucian laughed, "probably because the language is bloated."

Judy sighed, "This is why you need friends. Nobody else talks about these types of things." She turned to him, "Are you ready to go?"

Lucian asked, "Do you think I look okay?"

"You look cute," Mel smiled at him.

Judy shook her head, "Yeah, I think Howl would dig that shirt."

"Howl?" Lucian questioned.

"Howl Clark. He's dating this douchebag Gabe Sanders. They've been together for years." Mel explained before she turned to her girlfriend, "Do you think Howl will actually be there?"

Judy shook her head, "He's usually there. Gabe always makes Howl go even if he doesn't want to. Lucian, you'll probably get to meet him. He's introverted, but I think he's depressed or something. Don't tell him I said that."

Lucian followed his newfound friends from his room and into the corridor. They ran down the stairs and into the main hall of the castle. The group of three walked outside. Lucian shoved his hands into his pockets while Judy and Mel gossiped.