Chapter Fourteen

Howl sat in Lucian's bedroom, channeling each other's magic as they practiced their banishing spell. This spell was supposed to be a big portion of one of the exams. However, the two of them found themselves not properly able to cast it. Lucian was on the verge of giving up completely, but Howl insisted that they kept trying. Lucian grasped Howl's hands in his own, whispering the spell beneath his breath as Howl instructed, but it wasn't working.

Lucian jumped up from his seat on the floor, "It's not working. There's no point. We might as well stop and focus on something else." Lucian paced back and forth across the room, shoving his hands into his pockets.

"Lucian, this is the most important part of the Charms Exam."

"Yeah, well, I can't do it. I'm obviously not powerful or gifted enough to do it."

Howl stood up, pressing his hands to Lucian's, "I know we can do it. Come on. Sit down and focus, and we can do it."

Lucian whispered, "Let's just study for Potions."

Howl grabbed Lucian by the shoulders, "I am sick of Potions. Let's just cast this spell, Lucian." Howl bent down to relight the candle.

Lucian whispered, "Fine, but this is the last time I'm doing this."

Howl's hands were soft in Lucian's. Howl began the chant, naturally rocking back and forth as he whispered the repeated mantra over and over. Lucian could feel the power run through his veins when he joined. He opened his eyes, staring at the refractions of light in the air. Finally, it was working.

When they were done, Howl let go of Lucian's hands, "See? I told you we could do it."

The banishing spell acted like some type of protection spell, neutralizing all possible spirit threats in the vicinity. Lucian chewed on his thumbnail as he stared at Howl. "We should probably start studying Potions again because I know you need help in understanding these concepts. Lucian pulled a stack of papers from his backpack and handed the stack to Howl. "This is what you have to study tonight when I leave to go to bed."

***

Lucian wandered through the mazelike hallway, stumbling across the corridor that contained all the awards and trophies won from students at Blackshore. He had just finished his Divination exam and hour before. Lucian held himself back from touching the glass as he walked alone. Suddenly, Lucian stopped walking, Instead, he grew closer, breaking his rule of not touching the glass as he stared at his father's academic award trophy in the cabinet.

"Lucian, is that you?" a girl's voice rang throughout the hall.

The boy whipped around, staring at Judy. Her red hair was pulled into a ponytail, and she was wearing an orange jacket. "What are you doing? Doesn't' your exam for Potions start soon?" she asked.

Lucian shrugged, "I just got distracted, but how is everything? Your mom and your dad?"

Judy laughed, "They're fine, I guess, but they despise each other. Thanks for asking though."

"Are you okay with it, Judy? Their divorce?"

"As I've said before, it's been a long time coming. If it's the best thing for them, they should do it." Judy stared blankly at the trophy case. She grabbed Lucian's hand in her own.

Lucian asked, "Do you think you'll do well on the exam for Charms?"

Judy snorted, "Does it look like I'm going to do well? I haven't legitimately studied for Charms a single day of my life. Christmas break is going to suck."

"Yeah, it probably will. It usually does."

Judy let go of Lucian's hand, "I hope your Christmas turns out better than mine."