4

four

"Now, let's get to know each other."

His words were inviting yet chillingly ominous; leaving me both conflicted and unsettled while also surprisingly intrigued.

I wasn't sure whether my fascination was correlated to the thrilling high of driving around at midnight with a stranger or the fact that Harry was just inexplicably captivating.

I shift uncomfortably, hands gripping the wheel as I drive in no particular direction, the night welcoming us with its dewy skies and stygian surroundings.

"Well, who's going first?" I question, my soft voice drifting lonesomely along with the sounds of the tires hitting the road.

Harry smiles mischievously, his eyes glancing around the middle section of my car, searching for something, leaving me puzzled.

"What are y-?" He reaches for a coin in my cup holder and begins to balance it on his thumb, straightening his posture as he does so.

"Heads or tails?"

"Uh, tails." I always felt heads occurred more often, despite it being a 50/50 ratio.

"Okay, looks like I have heads then," and with that he flicks the coin into the air before catching it and placing it down on the top of his hand.

The answer remains covered, and although I can only see him in my peripheral view, I take notice of his smile and bright eyes; like candles in a darkened room.

"So if the answer is heads, I have to go first. If it tails, well, you already know that much."

"Got it," I chuckle, eager to know who would be going first.

Carefully and slowly he moves away his hand, revealing the answer I could not see.

"Aw bloody hell, I always lose," he pouts, throwing the coin back down into the cupholder.

"You always lose at heads or tails?" The laugh that emits from my throat is inhuman and I question why it is so funny to me. Harry joins in, leaving me to wonder whether he was doing so at me or with me.

"Now that's a laugh to remember," he quips, dramatically wiping fake tears from his eyes.

Well there answers one of my questions.

"Yeah, don't get used to it," I retort playfully, "I believe I'm supposed to get to know you now."

"Yep, that you do. But first, I have a place I'd like us to go. It's a surprise though, so I'll only give directions."

Shit. Is this the part where I get killed? What do I do? He seems nice. Murderers are manipulative, though. Am I being paranoid or logical? Sometimes it's difficult to tell.

"Is the surprise that you're actually a cannibal?" I try to ease my thoughts with a joke.

"I said it was supposed to be a surprise, Olive, now you've ruined it," he teases back, at least I hoped, throwing his hands up as if he were frustrated.