Dark Wish, Part II

Start from the beginning

"Our morphers?" Xander asked.

The Hidiacs growled and stormed forward, shoving past the team without so much as batting an eye. Kali felt Nick's hand on her wrist, while Chip squeezed her shoulder. She knew that they were trying to stop her from reacting.

"We'd better get to Root core," said Nick, quietly. He tugged Kali along behind him as he headed for the tree, only to stumble back into her as he collided with the trunk.

Kali squeaked as she stumbled against Nick's weight and then looked at the tree. "Are you okay?" she asked, setting him back up steadily.

"What's happened?" Nick asked, rubbing his head. He watched as Chip touched the tree, but the portal remained closed.

"We're going to have to go out of town," said Vida.

The others nodded and set off down the street. Nick turned to Kali as she lingered near the tree, her gaze sweeping around her, taking everything in and trying to understand it all.

"Come on," Nick said, taking her hand. "We'll figure this out."

Kali met his gaze and allowed him to lead her away.

~X~

Just like the city, the Mystic Forest was black and white. Like someone had taken a giant eraser and scrubbed the colour of the air. The only thing that seemed to retain any of its natural colour were the clouds above, but even they were unnatural. Usually, black and grey clouds meant a storm was brewing but there was no other evidence of rain, thunder and lightning.

The magical barrier between the worlds shimmered as the Rangers passed through it, and once on the other side, they headed in the familiar direction of their home base. However, what they found was nothing short of a dragon-shaped tree stump, and debris.

"What happened here?" Xander asked, lifting a corner piece of the Xenotome. The rest of it was scattered around the dragon's mouth, but none of it was salvageable.

"What happened here is what's happened everywhere," said Nick, kicking one of the brooms that lay at his feet.

Kali bit her lower lip and looked around, devastated. This was like a nightmare. Only, she wasn't sleeping.

"Get away from here!"

The team looked around quickly as an older woman appeared from behind the tree, brandishing a broom. She wore a black robe over her usual white one, and her hair was matted and dishevelled. Despite her appearance, the team recognised her immediately.

"Udonna," Kali whispered.

Udonna glanced in her direction. Her head cocked to the side before she shook her head, and shoved at them with a broom. "This is my home," she said. "Getaway."

"Udonna, don't you remember us?" Maddie asked. "You taught us everything we know, we're the Power Rangers. We're the Mystic Force."

"Liars," Udonna said. "The legendary ones never came. I waited for them, but they never came. Only the darkness."

Kali blinked back the tears that had started to appear in her eyes and took a deep shuddering breath as she stared at Udonna. Only an hour ago, this same woman was berating her and the others for getting lazy while in battle, and she couldn't help but feel guilty that her last conversation with the great sorceress had been an argument.

"There you are. I've been looking ever -"

The Rangers laughed nervously as Claire stumbled out of the woods and wrapped her arms around Udonna. She paused and stared at them, confusion and fear on her face.