Heir Apparent, Part I

Kali looked up from her book and winced as Nick hit the ground on his back. He had been sparring with Daggeron for a little over half an hour, in a training exercise Udonna had called 'Bound Battle'. The logistics were the same as any sparring match, except for the rope binding the two fighters together.

"Sorry, young warrior, next time I'll take it easy on you," Daggeron teased.

"Don't even think about it," said Nick. He kicked up, knocking Daggeron back in surprise, and then jumped back to his feet and swung his wooden sword down.

Daggeron recovered quickly, blocking the blade and parrying Nick's next move with ease.

"Why doesn't he use his laser lamp?" Xander asked, leaning closer to Udonna.

"Only swords are permitted in a bound battle," said Udonna. "No magic. Daggeron is very skilled in this technique."

"Because I was taught by the best," Daggeron called. "Now Nick is going to be beaten - I mean, taught by the best."

Vida snickered from behind Kali.

"I see humility doesn't set in as one reaches middle age," Nick teased.

"Middle age?" Daggeron repeated, aghast.

Vida laughed.

"Nick's got this one wrapped up," said Vida.

"Oh, it's not over yet," said Xander, shaking his head and grinning.

Swinging his sword around, Nick knocked the blade against Daggeron's wrist making him release his grip and the sword twirled three times in the air before Nick reached out and grabbed it. He paused, and then tossed it back at Daggeron.

"Ah, you had him," Vida whined. "Don't give him his sword back."

Kali smiled and rolled her eyes. While Nick had always been a competitive sport, he also believed in a fair win. He was never the type of person that would take advantage of someone else's vulnerability to secure himself in the first place.

Once Daggeron had his sword back, Nick pulled his arm up and tugged the Knight forward; Daggeron stumbled and Nick turned, jumping between two tree branches and pulling Daggeron flush against the trunk, he hoisted himself back up and through the tree as Daggeron landed on the ground, on his back.

Nick grinned.

"Good job, Nick," Daggeron complimented as the others cheered. "You took me fair and square, and you did it with honour." He stabbed his sword into the ground and allowed Nick to pull him back to his feet.

"I just got lucky," said Nick, passing off the compliment.

"There's no luck here," said Daggeron, patting Nick on the shoulder. "Your skill is growing stronger. You have all improved."

"Thanks to you," said Maddie, smiling.

Kali looked up as Nick sat beside her, leaning over her shoulder to see the book she was reading. She had finished the book on the Ancient Mystics and was now reading about other magical hierarchies, like the Tribunal of Magic, for example.

"You were taught by the best, and so are we," said Chip. "Maybe one day we can be as good as Leanbow."

Udonna stiffened as she looked from Chip to Daggeron and back again. Kali noted that they both looked nervous and uncertain as they cast a glance towards the white Sorceress.

"I'm sorry, Udonna," Daggeron apologised. "I told Chip about your husband. He promised not to say a word."

"And I didn't..." said Chip.