Because it was day 1 I wouldn't launch straight into work and I didn't need to be rushed anyway because I liked to be prepared before meeting my patient. I needed background information and so on just to save me the stress of suddenly being in a room with a maniac having read nothing about them. I had to be prepared.

With the folders in my arms I walked to my office. My boxes had been delivered here already so I began to unpack.

My office was decently sized. It had a desk, surrounded by a few chairs, a cupboard and a few other bits and bobs scattered around the place.

I started with my desk, placing pens in a pot and some notebooks in my draws. I then moved on to the cupboard that I filled with a spare outfit and other things I could need.

Everything was set out perfectly so I went over to the door and pressed on my name plate.

Dr. Green

I took my mom's maiden name because my dad took off before I was born. I didn't hate my name, but it was so normal, so boring.

Alice Green

But it didn't matter.

My mom died 3 years ago, just as I started college. I was an only child (my mom learnt from her mistakes when my dad took off) so I was on my own.

I guess you could say I had 'daddy issues' I never met mine and my mom was absent. That only pushed me to work harder so I could get away. I couldn't end up like her. Lonely and poor with a child I could never love.

I sat on my leather desk chair as I prepared myself to dive into this case. I would write my notes and then see what I could gather from them.

Well...here we go, first case of Alice Green's return.

Hello Alexander Marino.

I had actually heard of Alexander. His gang had been on the news. He was rumored to be in the Italian mafia however that was never confirmed. What was confirmed was the overall 674 people he had murdered with his own hands, not including the rest of the people who had been slaughtered by the gang's orders.

Alexander had been caught helping hold a drug empire amongst many other crimes, everyone knew he was in the mafia however people were terrified to make that link because of his brother, who is believed to lead the mafia. It was a surprise that he had even been caught because most people were too cautious to imprison a mafia member let alone someone with connections like he had.

Alexander's file was just telling me about what he had done and how he had been caught. A snitch had come forward to the police after being taken himself. The information he gave the authorities had knocked 15 years off his own sentence. That is until he had been assassinated.

We had to be careful, it seemed like Alexander had people still doing his dirty work, I was simply a psychologist and didn't want to get caught up in any of this.

I didn't think he would qualify for his sentence to be switched to a mental illness plea. Sure he probably had anger issues but I doubt someone as cruel as him would get away with that. No, the judge would see straight through him.

However I didn't doubt this would be one of my hardest cases. He was obviously very smart and would constantly be trying to trick me.

Maybe returning this soon was a mistake after all....no I would stand my ground. No one had faith in me but I would prove them all wrong. I was bored of everyone looking at me like I was glass- ready to shatter at any moment. Well I'd show them.

That evening I had driven home. I got my drivers license as soon as I could.

I was brought up in Colorado, so I got my license as soon as I turned 16. It was very important to me that I could be independent and being able to drive meant I was almost free. I could go anywhere I wanted after I saved up for a car.

My first car was only $700, I had bought it from a junkyard and it was old and pretty ugly but it still functioned well. I had saved the money for about 2 years since I began working at local diners and hair salons.

But once I moved here, to California, and got a better job it meant I could buy a better car and better apartment. And that's exactly what happened. Now I had a five seater car that wasn't covered in dust and had a working stereo along with a clean and spacious apartment.

Once I returned home I had a shower and got into some pajamas. I had a big day and I would go to bed.

My apartment had a bedroom, bathroom and kitchen. The kitchen had a bar in it where I would eat and work. I also had a lounge. Because I lived in the city, homes were expensive for what they were. I paid about double of what I would have for a house 2 times the size back in Colorado. But I preferred it here, so it was worth it.

I sat at the bar and ate some basic pasta and garlic bread (a favorite of mine) and read my book as I did so. It was always quiet in my apartment, I longed to have someone but I had serious trust issues due to what had happened.

I once again read Alexander's file before scanning and adding to my notes on his case and then turned off my light and went to sleep.

"For fuck sake Alice, can't you even keep your eyes off of my co-workers for one night" Ryan screamed in my face.

I was already crying. I knew what was coming and I was so scared. I was always so scared.

"Please, I swear I wasn't...I- I only love you!"

I wasn't lying. I hadn't been looking at his co-workers that way. I had just been curious and bored so I just began to stare, unaware of what I was doing.

"Fucking whore, I'll show you what happens to dirty sluts like you."

I woke up soaked with sweat.

Another nightmare. These were occurring every night now. But I couldn't tell anyone, they would extend my suspension and therapy, deeming I was still unstable to return to work. So I would just continue to suffer in silence.

I glanced at my clock.

3.47

There was no point in trying to go back to bed. Now I needed to shower so I would need more time anyway. I had to leave for work at 7 am, that was in about 3 hours so I was in no rush.

I sat on my coach reflecting on my dream. Ryan had been my boyfriend since university. I met him in Stanford. He was studying politics and I was doing psychology. He was 2 years older but that didn't bother me. Although I had never admitted it to anyone, I was a submissive at heart, so Ryan's dominating personality captivated me. But it wasn't long before he turned abusive. There was a difference between being dominating and abusive.

The last few years that I had spent with him were awful. To cut it short I ended up in hospital traumatized and when work found out they put me on leave.

I didn't like discussing the details, it just reminded me of the pain I felt. I wish I could forget but I had the scars to always remind me of my ordeal.

His marks would forever be burned onto my skin, and his cruel words would always taint my mind.

But I knew deep down Ryan was right. Maybe I was a whore. Maybe I was a slut. That was why nobody wanted me. I was disgusting.

I was broken.

Hi guys! Thank you for choosing my story and I hoped you enjoyed the first chapter! Don't worry there will only be a few intro chapters like this before you are introduced to Antonio and the story really gets going!
Please don't be afraid to comment (Although mean commenters will get a warning before being blocked) and if you enjoyed reading this it would mean a lot if you voted!!

Thank you- theatramentouswriter

WORD COUNT: 2113