𝐅𝐎𝐔𝐑. Chatting Under The Starlight

After a good shower and dinner, the siblings stepped out of their bungalow to walk on the lawn.

On the beautiful island Isla Nublar which housed the biggest theme park in the world, Jurassic World, the brother and sister lived in a lakeside bungalow a few miles away from the Velociraptor Valley. Two bikes rested against the closest tree. There were arrangements of outdoor lighting on the veranda attached to nearby trees around the bungalow. Several solar panels were set all over the roof to provide necessary electricity, and a table was set aside on the lawn right next to the doorstep where toolboxes, fishing rods, stacks of books, board games, and such equipment were visible. There was also a canoe by the bank of the lake, tied to a pole. The older one out of them had a little habit of fishing in leisure.

It was nice around here, no locality to bother them with noise, only nature surrounding them. Sometimes you could hear the night creatures howling or hooting from afar. The lights from the staff cottages in distances would have bare effects to lighten the darkness of the night outside. Only the stars and the moon were there to illuminate the night sky, and sometimes you would be greeted by the fireflies. These serene, quiet nights felt more than rewards after their daily noisy and hectic schedule.

"Did you hear about those kids intruding the raptors paddock last night?" Kate threw a question out of the blue while she tried to catch a firefly, although they kept flying away. "The camper kids from the project called...Oh, what was it called? Camp Cretaceous, I think? Barry was telling me about it before Hoskins had barged in..."

"Oh, yeah," Owen nodded while collecting the tools and putting them inside the toolbox, "I heard about it, too, at the resting shade. Nearly got themselves killed. Kids. Huh, they think they know better."

"Wow, you sound like a grandpa," she chuckled, "They could have done it daringly, but it also could be that they had got there without even knowing."

"But they oughtta be careful here, around any dinosaurs, because these animals aren't just exhibition materials." Foreseeing a lecture coming forth, Kate grabbed a book from the stacked ones, thinking of continuing to read after their discussion. Owen, as she assumed, went on, "The sole reason I don't want any kids near the velociraptors is they tend to overlook the gravity often. I wouldn't have even let you work here, but I know you are smarter and respect the raptors, as anyone should."

"Okay, okay, I get it," Kate chuckled, "I understand where you are coming from." She stroked on the book cover, but her eyes were focused elsewhere; she was gazing up at the sky and trying to see if she could identify the constellation she was gazing at for a while. Recently, she had been trying to teach herself about constellations and stars.

Kate fidgeted with the book cover, contemplating if she should get up and turn the lights on the veranda to read or practice her star navigation skills tonight. Not long after, she lay down on the grass, putting the book over her chest as she gazed up at the sky, looking for the Polaris, when her brother, too, joined her side.

"What would we be doing...if we hadn't come here?" She mumbled after a while, while she was busy figuring out the constellation.

Owen looked at her but did not say anything. Kate was like this. Often when they would stargaze or go fishing or ride the canoe, she would think along this line, wonder about the lifestyle of the teenagers and adults of the cities and villages, and many more things like that. He did not stop her; he would listen to her until she would go on, often pondering if he should have dragged her into this lifestyle.

"What would you have been doing? You left the Navy for me... what would you be doing if you hadn't got this offer? If you had refused to work here?"